Questions about installing OS on new rig

morgandaniels59

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I'm a little bit stuck and intimidated by this subject, but how do I install a new WIN 10 64bit OS on a new rig with no optical drive? Is having a product key something I need to have before hand when I first turn on the new rig? I'm currently using WIN10 64 bit on my current rig. I have a new Asrock Z370 Extreme MOBO waiting to have the OS installed. Forgive me for I am new to the idea of installing OS.

Solution
no your USB is the installer. attach your ssd into your machine. then boot to usb so that installation will start. you will be prompted to select your ssd drive for install. after first reboot it will boot naturally to your ssd.
Get the mediacreation tool then download the ISO

If you've got a flash drive you can use rufus to put the install on it

Tool

Rufus

Since the mobo has a UEFI BIOS select GPT partition in Rufus before you add the ISO

Once you add the ISO wait for it to finish, eject it then put it in a USB port on this mobo.

Go into the BIOS. Change the bootdisk to the flash drive

Enable AHCI, secureboot and UEFI, in the BIOS first

Press a key when it says to. Install windows. Everytime it reboot dont press a key again. Let it continue until it gets into windows

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
its easy actually. just go to this site and get a usb drive (at least 8Gb). the tool will guide you pretty straight forward.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

when booting your computer to USB, just press F8 and select the usb. or f2/del, go to bootmenu. and select.

as for the digital license. make sure you do these first before you start/throw away your old hardware.

on your original PC, first link your license and machine to your account :
* press winkey+i. update & security. activation. add an account. sigin with your microsoft account.
* after all that is done you will see a message like "license linked to your account"
* you may or may not be asked to verify by your email to fully activate

on your new PC, transferring the digital license :
* press winkey+i. update & security. activation. troubleshoot. i changed hardware on this device recently.
* sign in with your account. go thru the following steps. passwords what-not.
* find the name of your new machine** and check "this is the device im using". activate.

** if you havent renamed it yet, it could be some random thing like DESKTOP-ASDF

done. ez pz!

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

Both of these sites will help you out. Basically, you need to create a bootable version of Win10 on a USB stick. To do this you download the .iso from Microsoft (this is free--you don't need a license key or anything else). Then you use either the Microsoft program, or a program like rufus.exe, to create the bootable file on the USB stick.

Put the USB stick in your new computer and turn it on. It should boot from the stick. Sometimes you need to boot into your BIOS and tell it where your boot disc is. Once your computer sees the boot disk (your USB stick) it will take over from there.

If you have a license key, type it in when it asks. If you don't have a key, don't worry about it. Win10 will install anyway, and it will run just fine with only a few cripples (basically, it won't let you customize the background screen: that's it!). You can actually buy Win10 after the install directly from your computer. Go to settings=>system=>about and click on "Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows". You can enter a valid product key if you click on "Change product key", or buy a copy by clicking on "Go to Store".

If you are swapping motherboards and then reinstalling Win10, you may be required to contact Microsoft customer service. They are pretty amenable to helping you out in this situation. This problem arises because the first time you load Win10 on a computer, it gets permanently associated with that specific hardware (yes, big brother is watching). So if you use that old key on new hardware, Microsoft knows something is up. If you click on "Get more info about activation" from the above screen, it will take you to the Microsoft help page, and you can go from there.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
no your USB is the installer. attach your ssd into your machine. then boot to usb so that installation will start. you will be prompted to select your ssd drive for install. after first reboot it will boot naturally to your ssd.

Solution

morgandaniels59

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Oooh okay then. Seems far less intimidating when you put it all that way. I really do appreciate the help from everyone. I’ll definitely be returning to this thread if I have any more issues or questions.