Shadows and Dark Colors Look "Blotchy" and Distorted on New Monitor

DrumsXO

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Hey, everyone.

Related build specs can be found in my signature.

I just received my AOC AGON AG241QG (24" 1440p 165Hz G-Sync) monitor today. When I got home from work, I hooked it up, dialed in what I think are all of the appropriate settings, then loaded up Dishonored 2.

What I was greeted with is something I haven't noticed before; shadows that look very dark, almost "blotchy" and distorted, and even slightly blue in color. I toyed with the monitor settings, changed the color settings of the monitor in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but nothing worked.

What I ended up having to do was raise the in-game brightness to 15% from the 9% I had it set to previously, then lower my monitor's brightness until the shadows were as dark as I could get them, without them being "blotchy" again.

I don't know if this is an issue with my new monitor itself, a setting somewhere, or the game itself.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't post pictures or screenshots of it, because it doesn't seem to show very well in them. I'll actually post one that I took, but I don't know how well it'll show the problem for all of you.

iwL4y9C.png
The problem is in the top half of the image; the shadowed areas are all outrageously dark, "blotchy" and even slightly blue. I double-checked and this does happen with my old monitor (although I never noticed it before), but it's a lot less pronounced.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
its a TN panel. you wont get the advantage of true rgb colors/contrast ratios compared to a VA. and dont use brightness. use gamma correction. higher value=darker tone. lower value=lighter tone (so you can see better on darker scenes without having too much brightness). i belive its an option on your monitor menu.

DrumsXO

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

My old monitor is a TN and it's not like that with that monitor...

I went with a TN because VA panels don't have G-Sync, and I wanted to have G-Sync to make sure I have buttery smooth gameplay.

The OSD on this monitor doesn't really have a decent gamma setting; it has Gamma 1, Gamma 2 and Gamma 3. Should I use the settings found in the NVIDIA Control Panel instead?