BSOD unexpected_store_exception and critical_process_died

rhiannonja

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
For the past month I've been getting these BSOD (critical_process_died, unexpected_store_exception and sometimes memory_management) only when logging in to an online game, Lineage II. I've tried everything.

SYSTEM INFO:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1709 Build 16299.125
CPU: AMD FX-4300
RAM: 8gb Single Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz - installed in slot A1
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2
Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 370 series
HDD: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA)
Network: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
PSU: Corsair CX750M

What I'VE DONE TO TRY AND CORRECT THIS PROBLEM:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled Lineage II.
2. Reinstalled Lineage II to a different drive.
3. Clean boot in safe mode.
4. sfc /scannow
5. chkdsk /f /r
6. cleaned registry
7. offline scan
8. Per instructions from NCsoft (Lineage II) I uninstalled the "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller". They felt it could've been causing the BSOD.
9. Created a new user and tried running the game - no go.
10. Tried running Lineage II in compatibility mode (earlier windows system).
11. Checked drivers for updates. Updated AMD graphics driver and Logitech Gaming Software. All other drivers are up to date.
12. Took out the one 8gb stick of ram (which is installed in slot A1 - too darn close to the cpu and fan) and reseated it. Tried putting it in slot A2 but got DVI not detected. Not sure if it was seated properly.
13. Ran Memtest86+ for 13 hours after 5 passes no errors detected.
14. I've run DISM - no problems reported.
15. Only Windows Defender running.
16. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic - no errors detected

This never happened until NCsoft had a major expansion update on Dec. 8. I'm at my wits end with this and have tried everything and am nearly blind from reading through countless threads. My gut feeling tells me this has something to do with that 1 stick of 8gb ram that's in slot A1 and is VERY close to the CPU.

HELP!

UPDATE: Updated Realtek High Definition Audio, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and AMD SMBus with Driver Booster 5.1 and was able to log into L2. Logged in another account and got BSOD kernel_data_inpage_error. I am still suspecting that 1 8gb ram stick to be causing the problems. I ordered CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10 which is compatible with my Asus mobo and will arrive this coming Wednesday hopefully.

One more thing to note: no matter what I do a mini dump file is not being created. I log into Lineage 2 and right before I get to the user agreement page I either get critical_process_died, unexpected_store_exception, sometimes memory_management and the latest, kernel_data_inpage_error. I get the blue screen and it stays at 0% and am forced to restart.

Paging file set up:
N7Vgn0i.jpg

Mini Dump set up:
BN9O1Kt.jpg

PLEASE HELP ME!

Solution
I would set virtual memory to auto as Win 10 will hardly ever use page file, Mine is set to auto with 16gb of ram, so in theory it should be 16gb in size but it only uses 1gb max on my PC.

Here are some of the other reasons why you may not be creating a dump file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/130536/windows-does-not-save-memory-dump-file-after-a-crash

if/when you get minidumps working, you will need to copy them from c\winndows\minidump to another folder, and then upload the copies from 2nd folder to a file sharing site and show a link here.

possibly run western digital data life guard for windows and check HDD out: https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3 (run short/long tests) as PC treats storage as memory as well...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would set virtual memory to auto as Win 10 will hardly ever use page file, Mine is set to auto with 16gb of ram, so in theory it should be 16gb in size but it only uses 1gb max on my PC.

Here are some of the other reasons why you may not be creating a dump file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/130536/windows-does-not-save-memory-dump-file-after-a-crash

if/when you get minidumps working, you will need to copy them from c\winndows\minidump to another folder, and then upload the copies from 2nd folder to a file sharing site and show a link here.

possibly run western digital data life guard for windows and check HDD out: https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3 (run short/long tests) as PC treats storage as memory as well (refer page file)

Solution

rhiannonja

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Changed it back to auto but had it set like that before. I've read through that support page before and everything is set up correctly. Ran WD DLD in quick and extensive mode and it passed.

rhiannonja

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I uninstalled the AMD 106x Sata controllers today and got in trouble. Rebooted and got inaccessible_boot_device. Was able to start in safe mode did an sfc /scannow.. good to go. Went into my device drivers and updated the Asmedia 106x Controller. Rebooted and was able to log into L2. Logged out and will wait to try and log back in. Just trying to narrow this down. Was able to log back in! Since uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD 106x Sata controllers I've been able to log into L2 successfully 5 times now. Any ideas as to what happened?