Migrating Windows 10 to SSD

rvngeofthefallin

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
So on my 1TB HDD I have the most basic version of Windows 10 installed. I don't even have a retail key, just the minimal OS software to be able to have my computer able to download apps.

I just bought a 250gb SSD and want Windows to boot from that drive but I don't know what I need to do in order for this to happen. I have seen on youtube that you can just install an OS on an SSD, have 2 OS, and then delete one later on. I have also seen some transfer the OS to the new SSD and then go into the BIOS to have the computer recognize to boot up using the newly installed hardware.

I wanted to ask someone with more experience, what is the easier, more optimal way to have windows 10 boot from my new SSD, seeing as I haven't yet obtained a retail key.

Thank you

Solution

Install on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.
Later, reconnect the HDD and wipe it of all existing partitions. Then use as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
"...haven't yet obtained a retail key"

OK, where did the OS come from?
Just an install without activation?
Activation doesn't really matter, yet.

There are two options for getting your OS on the SSD:
1. Clean install. This always works.
It also involves installing everything else again.

2. Cloning. This requires that the total current used space on your HDD be below 200GB.

So which way do you wish to proceed?
Instructions can be given either way.

USAFRet

Titan

Install on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.
Later, reconnect the HDD and wipe it of all existing partitions. Then use as desired.

Solution