Second monitor not recognised (Windows 10, HDMI port)

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I looked through other threads on the subject but they are either not about HDMI specifically, or the proposed solutions are not relevant to my case.

I decided to add a second monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2043BW) to my desktop today. It uses a VGA connector, so I bought a VGA-HDMI converter like this one and connected the monitor using it into the HDMI port of my motherboard. The first monitor (Lenovo LEN LI2241wA) is connected to the GPU through a DVI-D port.

I turned my PC on and only the first (original) monitor is recognised both in the Display Settings of Windows (pressing 'Detect' prompts an error message saying 'Didn't detect another display') and the NVIDIA Control Panel (where only the first monitor is listed).

The two monitors use different resolutions. Could this be what is causing the problem with detection, and what could I do to solve this?

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017

Thank you for the prompt reply. My GPU is Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 256 bit.

You cannot use an internal video port and an external one at the same time.
Technically incorrect answer, shared video cards (internal/PCIE) can be run at the same time it depends greatly on the motherboard and bios. Asus boards do it all the time, you can use internal, shared (internal/pcie) or pcie only.

Thank you for the prompt reply. My GPU is Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 256 bit.
I would simply use the ports on that video card and ignore the internal video card as gmaclew already suggested.