boot drive no longer detected

tomskub

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I have been using samsung 850 evo as my desktop windows 10 boot drive for a few years with no problems. As far as I can remember, no new updates or software has been installed recently, but the drive is no longer detected in bios and thus will not boot.

I have a windows 10 laptop I tried connecting to it with a usb external enclosure, and it kind of detects it. What I mean is the usb to sata bridge is detected in the laptops Devices and Printers, and it knows the samsung 850 evo is in there, but will not let me access or modify it.

thanks for your help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the SSD show up in drive management when attached to laptop?

Depending on size of the EVO, you might still be under warranty with Samsung, since its 5 years: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

tomskub

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

in the laptop drive management, the SSD comes up as "unknown" and "not initialized". when attempting to initialize I get a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

it's a 256GB drive, so should be covered under that warranty. I will be looking into that if it comes down to it.
Thanks.

tomskub

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Additionally, not sure if this is irrelevent, related, or something new but upon entering the BIOS I'm starting to get some fan errors, the rear case fan and cpu fan are in the red - reportedly running slow.

motherboard is asus M5A97. Like before, nothing has been unplugged or installed or changed in months, and everything was working fine until yesterday.

tomskub

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Not sure if I can run chkdsk, as the drive isn't being assigned a letter, and otherwise can't be accessed....
Will get detailed specs later, but PSU is maybe 4 year old corsair 650 watt gold. 8gb corsair vengeance ram, amd phenom ii x4 965, 4gb MSI rx 480,