PC randomly crashes, I'm out of ideas

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017
Seems like rather popular issue with computers in general, but in my case it's really weird. So I will start with my PC specs:
AMD FX 6300 (was running at 100 MHz OC all the time, but I returned to stock speeds)
Gigabyte 78lmt-s2p rev.5
2x 4GB DDR3 Crucial RAM
Palit GTX 650 Ti 1GB OC (upgraded to) Gigabyte RX 560 4GB
Asus Xonar DG (onboard sound works fine)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
WB scorpio blue 320GB (laptop HDD, that I got for free)
Fortron FSP700-50ARN 88+ 700W power supply (rebranded Seasonic at lower price)

Hardware bought at the start of 2014, except PSU, SSD, sound card. Those were upgraded later (PSU, SSD in 2015 and sound card in 2017) (I got HDD for free maybe 2016, but it has been used since 2010 or 2011).

My problem:
With GTX 650 Ti I have been playing with GPU BIOS and flashed it a lots on this PC, because I wasn't scared of messing it up anyway as I'm going to upgrade to RX 560. Too bad one time GTA 5 crashed and I instantly suspected graphics card. Too bad it was stable as rock in anything else and after returning to stock BIOS and therefore, stock speeds, GTA 5 has been crashing and sometimes with PC restarting. I wouldn't suspect power supply as it's a quality unit, but I did suspect BIOS settings a bit. Turning off power saving features and CPU turbo mode did nothing. I also wanted to try out Office 95 for some retro feelings and all, but installation had errors and some fonts were malfunctioning. I found solution to this problem myself with some software and font reinstall. Too bad GTA 5 crashing problem remained.

Further fixing:
Malware scan (Malwarebytes software) (found two trojans)
virus scan
registry cleaner and fixer
gpu driver cleaning and installation after upgrade to AMD (still nothing)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3590889/messed-fonts.html#20539986 this thread
chipset driver reinstall
driver finding software

Further adventures:
Turns out that I missed one important bit. I had Doom, which crashed too, but I suspect huge lack of VRAM, too bad getting new card didn't solve that. Also Sleeping Dogs crash at the start (after gpu upgrade). In GTA 5 crashing case error messages are random. Sometimes mentions VRAM problem, sometimes mentions random process being stopped, sometimes just GTA 5 crash, sometimes RX 560 in device manager becomes marked and then after re-enabling it again it works (GPU, not GTA). At this point I don't know is it hardware problem or software. Many other games like Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY, Juiced, GTA 4 work fine and PC survives extensive stress testing (CPU and GPU, haven't tested RAM). Only today I noticed that it crashed at waking up from sleep, but still rebooted. I have been desperate enough to start looking at Windows problem reports and it seems like AMD fuel service and FreemakeUtilsService are crashing often. Once bad_module_info too, but I got this error after one GTA 5 crash. One this PC crashed just at web browsing without much load on CPU. One important detail is that I never get BSODs. I wish I had, to make trouble-shooting easier.

Oh I forgot to mention one more thing. I changed BIOS setting from native IDE to AHCI, but I didn't forget to edit Windows registry for that. I'm not sure how to test this out, but it doesn't seem like a problem causing thing.

Any solutions? Plz no Windows reinstall, I don't really want to redo everything, that's very time consuming and I don't really have many options for backing up.

last note:
I did lots of other things that could potentially fix the problem, that I don't remember anymore. I have been living with this stability problem for almost one month.

You can install second instance of windows 10 to test, if borked windows is the cause of those issues.
Just create a separate partition at the end of your HDD.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

I have spare HDD with working Windows Vista. I could test that out, too bad it's only 80GB HDD, so no GTA 5 I guess.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017
@SkyNetRising

I remember that after fixing issues with fonts, my system became a bit faster and more responsive, before fixes it was unusually slow and that's why I scanned malware back then. I wasn't good boy and didn't pay for that office 95, so I downloaded it for free from net. That's a stupid mistake. Do you think it's possible to fix malware damage without Windows reinstall? I know that reinstall is a better option, but I certainly don't want to do that, due to limited backing up options, having lots of stuff and lots of stuff I don't want to touch, just due to pure amount of it. Also I'm not sure what new Win10 feature 'reset' does, but it seems like it only touches Windows without touching rest of the data, am I right?

BTW on that small HDD installed Windows 7 and now I have all drivers. All I can say that everything works fine and actually surprisingly smoothly, except when HDD is needed (it's only 80 gig laptop model from 2005, so yeah it's horrendously slow by itself, but hey it works).

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

What's the point of that? I disconnected all HHDs and SSDs and connected only that small HDD to test out stability. After all there's no use of connecting others as in the biggest HDD are games, that have their files on other HDD and SSD. On smaller HDD are Windows libraries with lots of data. On SSD is OS and many programs. Of course game saves are scattered everywhere, I don't know. My files are also on multiple HDDs. So connecting any of them with this smallest HDD would translate in more or less malfunctioning or having lots of leftover files or something not working at all. That sucks. Anyway software itself takes up most space, so I wouldn't mind to reinstall it, but all my saves and settings are far more important to me. The situation is complicated. On top of that my 16 gigabyte USB drive just died (damn you corsair), now I only have 512MB flash drive, which is very old and small. Too bad backing up isn't a biggest problem, the worst thing is finding all game saves. Many of my games are pre-Steam era, so no easy way for me. Data can be relocated to fit on existing hardware, just like I said, that's not the biggest problem.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

I already have 7 instead of Vista on small HHD. You was the one suggesting 10. The thing was it even crashed on low load tasks like web browsing, so even without video games it's good enough to test out.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

But I asked if I could fix that without reinstall... That's important.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

But I said many times, that I already have 7 installed and fully functioning. Too bad only with 30 gigs left.

the_red_spirit

Reputable
Dec 12, 2017

I guess I will have to do something like that, right?

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-repair-a-malware-damaged-pc-1032838
https://betanews.com/2014/10/13/three-ways-to-repair-a-malware-damaged-pc/