Im installing windows 10 with a disk and Im getting an error message

coolguy10518

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
The error message is, "We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here's more info about what happened." I've tried doing the diskpart thing in the command script but that didn't work. Anyone know a solution?
Heres a picture: http://tinypic.com/r/166n7kg/9

Solution
Well, I don't know why my first post only shows the link to the clean install because I posted a lot more information than that. I guess the squirrels running the cages around here went on break again.

I too said to highlight the existing partition and then click next, and if that doesn't work you can try the following.

Try this.

When you get to the Custom Install screen, hit Shift + F10, this will bring up the Command Prompt.

Then type this:

diskpart

Then type:

list disk

It will show you a list of the disk connected to your computer. In your case it should only show Disk 0. If this is correct type this:

select disk 0

Then type:

clean

Then from the Custom Install select New and leave it to use the entire volume. It will...
Highlight the 'unallocated space', then click on the 'format' option, this will reformat the drive so Windows can install onto it.
Note, Windows will create more than one partition-it should create one large one you install to and two smaller ones for its own uses, don't delete them!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That message is happening because the drive has no partitions allocated. If I recall correctly, you have to click New, and allocate a partition for the drive.
I'd suggest partitioning the whole thing as a single partition, and then the installer will tell you that it may need to create other partitions of its own for recovery, etc

Well, I don't know why my first post only shows the link to the clean install because I posted a lot more information than that. I guess the squirrels running the cages around here went on break again.

I too said to highlight the existing partition and then click next, and if that doesn't work you can try the following.

Try this.

When you get to the Custom Install screen, hit Shift + F10, this will bring up the Command Prompt.

Then type this:

diskpart

Then type:

list disk

It will show you a list of the disk connected to your computer. In your case it should only show Disk 0. If this is correct type this:

select disk 0

Then type:

clean

Then from the Custom Install select New and leave it to use the entire volume. It will warn you that it needs to make a System Reserved partition, let it. Windows should install.

And if you still get no love, I'd try unplugging the power cable from the wall, removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes, put it all back, go into the bios and select the option for optimal default or default setup settings, save and then try again.

If you still get no love then I'd try running checking the disk for problems.

Insert the original Windows disc.
Restart your PC and boot from the disc.
Click Repair your computer.
Choose the operating system from the list.
Click Next.
Choose Command Prompt.
When it opens, type the command: chkdsk /f /r.
Press Enter.

Solution