Installing Windows 10 OEM on my new PC

Sealio_

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I am building a near entirely new PC for the first time in a while. All the parts are new except for the power supply and hard drive. I also purchased a Windows 10 OEM disk as I've been using this unactivated Windows 7 copy for a few years now and I am tired of it. Since OEM disks are meant for PCs with no OS on them, will I need to wipe everything on my hard drive to put the OS on it? I know I will need to put in the motherboard before anything since it's an OEM and not a retail copy, however I can't find a clear answer on what I need to do with my hard drive. Some places are saying you can use an OEM disk to upgrade while others say you need to reformat the hard drive. Sorry for asking this on here, I'm sure it's probably a very basic question. :wahoo:

Solution
yes. basic rule. new motherboard new fresh install of windows. so back up what you can and keep a list of software you want to reinstall on your new system in a separate drive. attach your old drive into your new mobo on sata_0 preferrably. boot your pc. press F8 for the boot menu and select your windows CD. (or F2/DEL into BIOS and go select boot menu from there) choose delete all partitions. and format. and continue with the install. then it will reboot automatically and you will load into windows. ez pz :D

about license activation, since this is the first machine the windows 10 oem installer is used on, your windows will be autoamtically activated once you are online. you can double check on it by going to the settings (pressing...

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
yes. basic rule. new motherboard new fresh install of windows. so back up what you can and keep a list of software you want to reinstall on your new system in a separate drive. attach your old drive into your new mobo on sata_0 preferrably. boot your pc. press F8 for the boot menu and select your windows CD. (or F2/DEL into BIOS and go select boot menu from there) choose delete all partitions. and format. and continue with the install. then it will reboot automatically and you will load into windows. ez pz :D

about license activation, since this is the first machine the windows 10 oem installer is used on, your windows will be autoamtically activated once you are online. you can double check on it by going to the settings (pressing winkey+i). update & security. activation.

since you are re-using your old hdd as your system drive, i advise you to do a disk health check as well. you can simply right-click on your drive. properties. tools. check.

Solution