Windows 10 - How do I manage the system effectively, cleanly and perfectly?

NULL_1

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I am a bit of an OCD addict so I am used to the habit of having my PC being clean, directories sorted, knowing where everything is but through time of using a PC it is determined to get a bit over-run and "dirty" in other words. Slower, have un-used extensions, files, directories.

How do I clean all this easily. I do use CCleaner which is great for extensions, history, cookies, temp files, etc but it's the directories that annoy me. For example in app data roaming there is a bunch of folders that are not being used, that are empty.

I will be re-installing my system, not just because of the directories but other things like too many unneccesary programs, etc. What tools can I use to control what goes on my computers, where it goes and how can I change it.

For example controlling that every program is installed to another partition.

Solution
The problem with windows is it isn't granular enough in the registry to allow you to set a default save location for all applications without also changing where windows would install all windows updates and drivers. IN other words, if you change it, you will break windows

The only way to do it is to manually change the save location of all programs as you install them. The programs that don't allow you to change their save location at time of install will just have to go on C

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem with windows is it isn't granular enough in the registry to allow you to set a default save location for all applications without also changing where windows would install all windows updates and drivers. IN other words, if you change it, you will break windows

The only way to do it is to manually change the save location of all programs as you install them. The programs that don't allow you to change their save location at time of install will just have to go on C

Solution
One idea that may help is to create a folder at the root for all your documents, i.e. C:\My Files. Use this folder, instead of the standard Windows Documents folder. This keeps all your documents/files organized is a directory tree that you want. Then, you don't have to worry about what Windows throws into your Documents folder. Also, just install software in their standard/recommended locations. With this setup, I rarely go into my user folder or have to see the stuff that Windows dumps into it. In other words, out of site, out of mind. Then, you don't have to obsess over empty folders, etc. When you do a backup, be sure to backup My Files and your user directories.

jr9

Estimable
I can relate to that I have this issue myself to a certain extent. Installers can be such slobs sometimes, readme files everywhere, messy file names everywhere. Over time you end up with countless empty directories and little bits of junk. CCleaner does a great job of this but doesn't deal with empty files. The way I deal with it is to simply fresh install every year and use CCleaner to clear temp files in the mean time. I leave my Windows SSD alone otherwise and have my controlled and orderly data on another hard drive.

Windows is a very complicated and enormous piece of software and trying to trim it like a hedge I've found can create problems. Registry cleaners can cause system problems I've found. At one point when I was young I went through the long list of Windows system services and started disabling any services that I felt I wouldn't need or were clutter and I ended up disabling my DHCP service and my internet stopped working :( and I couldn't look up online what the problem was. I just Windows do what it wants and tidy up after it sometimes rather than trying to change how it works.

Colif

Win 11 Master

FYI: there should be a link in the top post of any thread thatyou not already involved in, that says "track this thread" The same link changes to "stop tracking this thread" of any you are involved in.

Means you could delete above post and just click the link to see future posts :)

waffleisback

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Yeah, xD I found out after posting the ironically lost this page. Thanks :)