Realtek HD Audio Controller Not Working

zMRTN

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Hi,
So I've been currently trying to fix this problem for over 5 hours straight. Earlier today I got two sudden PC crashes where my entire PC just went to black (completely turned off without warning), and after a few seconds turned back on again, then I took off the side panel of the case and tried to push all cables in to make sure they are in properly, that's when I got a blue screen with a sad face. The blue screen finished and my computer booted up as normal, but my audio came through my monitor speakers rather than my headset, and when I tried to locate my headset in Playback Devices or Recording devices, only my monitor speakers showed. It turned out that one of the High Definition Audio Controller (I have two of them for some reason) wasn't working in Device Manager (showed a yellow warning triangle sign) and when I went into that Driver's properties it said :

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Furthermore, in the "Driver Details" section it showed three files, drmk.sys, hdaudbus.sys and portcls.sys (which I'm guessing are causing this whole issue) I tried updating all my drivers on my PC, doing Windows Update. I went through all links on Google with all different kinds of searches and after trying every method possible (uninstalling the device/driver and reinstalling, going into safe mode and doing this, fixing registries, uninstalling and reinstalling Realtek and Realtek drivers, same thing with motherboard audio drivers, doing an sfc /scannow in a Command Prompt, doing a DISM scan, doing a RAM scan, reinstalling all motherboard drivers from my original disk) I wasn't successful with any of them. I even tried restoring my Windows to a point yesterday where this wasn't an issue, and I still couldn't open Realtek HD Manager program, I would click it and it would just do nothing. I really don't want to have to reinstall windows completely as I have a lot of files and programs which would take me days to reinstall and regain. I've attached some screenshots for more insight. These are my specifications:

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU: i5-7600k
RAM: 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z270-P
Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
1TB WD Hard Drive

I would be so so so grateful if anyone could help me out with this issue. Thank you.

2f266a04bb792f7ddbda4a15db089176

68cd8348ca6e4bf769b6f30dfb37412f

1bd170ac6034c5fafa2aec713c62d618

Solution
Well that'll be why nothing works

If you changed mobo, without doing a clean install, drivers will conflict and the system will end up crashing

zMRTN

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

No I haven't done a clean install of Windows yet as I want that to be my very very last resort. I did get the drivers from the site several times but they didn't work. That was when I decided to give the CD drivers a go. Still didn't work.

zMRTN

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

If you mean me installing the CD drivers over the top of the normal drivers caused it, it didn't as I done that just recently and the problem happened about 6 hours ago, it's less to do with the PC crashing as it hasn't happened since that blue screen but the problem is the Audio Controller not working, meaning I don't get sound through my headset.

TRENDING THREADS