Random Freeze/Restart on new build Ryzen 7, Asus 370pro MB, 16GB G.skill, Win 10 pro

jasoncharlesold

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Hola All,

Just built myself a new system but I'm getting random freezes followed by a restart. I diagnosed via Event Log and there are several errors, some of which I have solved but the issue seems to have persisted anyway. The last errors I'm getting prior to a restart are

Error 161 Volmgr - Dump File creation failed due to error during dump creation

and

Error 41 Kernel-Power The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

System Config is

New Parts
Ryzen 7 1800+
Asus Prime 370 Pro MB
16GB G.Skill 3200 Trident DDR4
Asus ROG Strix 1070Ti GPU
Akasa Venom AIO Watercooler

Recovered Bits from previous PC.
Icute 1000w PSU
256GB Kingston SSD (OS Drive)
512GB Corsair SSD (Steam Drive)

Any help appreciated.

Solution
After much testing, tweaking and troubleshooting I solved this issue. I had bought a Thermaltake P5 Case as this was an aesthetic build. I mounted the RoG Strix 1070Ti vertically using the supplied PCiE riser cable that came with the case. This will not handle high end video cards at all and was causing the Freezes/Crashes.

I'm currently plugged direct into MB and it's running fine. I've ordered a Premium Shielded 300mm Riser and I'll post results here.

jasoncharlesold

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
After much testing, tweaking and troubleshooting I solved this issue. I had bought a Thermaltake P5 Case as this was an aesthetic build. I mounted the RoG Strix 1070Ti vertically using the supplied PCiE riser cable that came with the case. This will not handle high end video cards at all and was causing the Freezes/Crashes.

I'm currently plugged direct into MB and it's running fine. I've ordered a Premium Shielded 300mm Riser and I'll post results here.

Solution

MsMo

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Wow, I have this same case...maybe this is my issue too. It sucks because I really like how my build looks with that cable. Maybe it's something we need to refer to thermaltake.