number of chipset PCIE lanes that a m.2 in sata mode use for GA-B250M-DS3H

pin-ice

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Ok so, according to the manual guide provided by gigabyte for the GA-B250M-DS3H motherboard you can run a m.2 ssd in pcie 3.0 x4 or x2 mode without conflicting with any sata ports but ... it also says that if you run a m.2 ssd in sata mode the slot sata 3 5 will share bandwidth with this ssd so of course the best would be to avoid using this sata slot, but my question is: why m.2 in sata mode disable/share bandwidth with sata 3 5 slot and why m.2 in pcie x4 mode doesn't share bandwidth or disable any sata slots? does a ssd sata consume more lanes than a ssd x4? one would think that if sata mode ssd share bandwidth with a sata slot then a ssd pcie x4 would disable pci x1 slots, but gigabyte has not stated anything relating pcie's x1 so it should mean that pcie's x1 are untouched

it is worth to add that intel b250 chipset has 12 pcie lanes

so in my mind would be something like this
6 sata slots = x6 lanes
2 pcie x1 = x2 lanes
m.2 in pcie x4 = x4 lanes

that's a total of 12 lanes, so we can assume that a m.2 in sata mode consume 4.5 or 5 lanes and thats why it shares bandwidth with sata 3 5

or i could be totally wrong because there could be more slots that also use lanes, i would like a list of slots that use pcie lanes

and now that we are at it already, the cpu i will use (pentium g4560) has a cap limit of Max # of PCI Express Lanes: 16, i'm going to use a 1050 ti gtx gpu, which of course should run at x16, so x16 from gpu + 12 from chipset, how come this cpu will handle all those lanes? and i'm sure even the i7 8700k has a limit of 16 lanes, so is not about it being a pentium.

Official link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#sp
proof: https://imgur.com/a/Ra1zk

Forgive my bad english, is not my first language.

1. The number of PCIe lanes available on your motherboards chipset, does not determine how many SATA devices you can use. The Intel B250 chipset can handle a limit of "6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors", whether that is through the SATA ports or the M.2 slot. Once you install a SATA drive in the M.2 slot, only 5 SATA ports can still work. That is a hard limit of the Intel chipset, and the number of PCIe lanes available on your motherboard does not make any difference.

2. The number of PCIe lanes available to the CPU and the GPU do not conflict, no matter how fast or slow your CPU or GPU are. The Pentium G4560 just happens to be one of the slowest CPU's Intel sells, so it doesn't need as much bandwidth as an i5 or i7 CPU, but the bandwidth provided by the chipset is identical for any CPU. The same goes for the video card.