Best way to connect a VGA monitor to a desktop without a VGA port?

smalls_5000

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Ok I understand this was answered a few different ways in different threads, but I am gonna throw a little twist into it. It is more of a two part question. Currently I have my main monitor using the video port on my gpu, I was wondering if i can connect my second monitor to my cpu purely out of just me wanting to do it since it won't be doing anything besides being a window for me to read and look at spotify playlists. Secondly, I wanted to know the best port to use, I have a dvi, display port, hdmi open on my cpu, and on my gpu I have a second display port, a dvi, and two hdmi ports open.

I am wondering which port on which processor to use. Thanks for any input!

Solution

There's not really any point in splitting your monitors between your GPU and CPU, a display on the desktop puts virtually zero extra load on the GPU and won't affect your framerates in games and such. If you really want to, you can plug in your second monitor into the motherboard if your board supports having integrated graphics active while a dedicated graphics card is connected. This just depends on the motherboard.

The best way to connect to a VGA monitor without a VGA output on your computer is first using a DVI-I to VGA...

smalls_5000

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Well thank you for a blunt answer to part of it, care to answer the rest of the question or provide any links for good cables/adapters for the suggestion you have?

There's not really any point in splitting your monitors between your GPU and CPU, a display on the desktop puts virtually zero extra load on the GPU and won't affect your framerates in games and such. If you really want to, you can plug in your second monitor into the motherboard if your board supports having integrated graphics active while a dedicated graphics card is connected. This just depends on the motherboard.

The best way to connect to a VGA monitor without a VGA output on your computer is first using a DVI-I to VGA adapter (only works if you have a DVI-I port; modern graphics cards only have DVI-D which does not support VGA adapters). If you do not have a DVI-I port, then use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and after that an HDMI to VGA adapter. DisplayPort adapters are generally somewhat cheaper and a little more reliable which is why they are preferred.

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00Z08TZNU/

Solution