Removing old motherboard drivers after upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiegreg78

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
My friend has recently upgraded from an old amd cpu and motherboard to an i5 - 6600k. He's stubborn and won't reinstall windows, so he wants to remove the older motherboard drivers so that he can launch the pc. He can currently only launch into safe mode, but doesn't know how to remove the drivers.

Solution
go to device manager and select each driver and then uninstall it.

probably wont fix all the issues though and his stubborness will likely have him spend more time chasing random issues, than it would take to just reinstall windows. ;)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
go to device manager and select each driver and then uninstall it.

probably wont fix all the issues though and his stubborness will likely have him spend more time chasing random issues, than it would take to just reinstall windows. ;)

Solution
It really is not necessary to remove drivers that are not used for devices you no longer have.
The hard drive space is trivial.

If he can boot into safe mode, use the cd that came with the new motherboard to install the new motherboard drivers.
He should then be able to boot normally.

jamiegreg78

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Yeah I told him it would be a hassle. but yeah, this worked for him. Thanks!

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
I've been swapping between my AMD and my Intel cpu and mobos quite frequently over the last few months, and I kept meaning to do a fresh Windows install. I usually plan to do it once I know the hardware is stable. Thing is I rarely get around to it as there doesn't seem to be a need anymore.
Windows 10 seems to be good at keeping everything stable, it autodetects the change in hardware at the first startup and does it's magic. Obviously if there were glitches I'd be fairly quick to do a fresh install, but if everything is running perfectly I don't see the point.

I'd be happy to listen to other peoples recommendations, thoughts and experiences though, and take them into consideration.

And I'll obviously uninstall specific applications that are no longer needed.. You don't want your old ASUS AI Suite software running every time your new Gigabyte board boots up!

Reactions: JoBalz
Status
Not open for further replies.