Strange data loss on my external hard drive?

Jan 3, 2018
I can't find a logically explanation for this behaviour and I'm not sure if my files are gone forever now or if there is a solution to recover everything.

I lost all changes from last week on my external hard disk(Toshiba 1TB).
7 days it was plugged into a notebook with Windows XP(drive letter is G: ) and after I plugged the drive back to my Windows 8.1 desktop machine(drive letter is F: here), all the changes I did on the drive while it was plugged into the notebook are non-existent(I connected the drive with my notebook again to check if my files show correctly - but no, they don't).
It seems that the architecture of the external hard drive is exactly like it was 7 days ago, when I decided to unplug it from my Windows 8.1 working station to continue the work on my old notebook. Is there anything I can do to recover everything?
I mean - what the heck happened? I did nothing more than plugging the drive back to my Windows 8.1 machine.

I'm not sure if this has any relationship to my problem - probably not, but usually the time and date on my notebook is incorrect - I only set the correct time when I need to browse the web for example, because browsers will refuse to show any content if the date is too far in the past or future.

keatingscool

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I actually had this problem about a month ago and I dont know why t happen either. I think though when my windows 10 pc saw files that were from another pc or a different one that is older it detected my files as corrupted/dangerous. After I ran my windows defender, it deleted everything I had from old pc. So I dont know if this relates to you but im still confused what happen.

keatingscool

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

That could be the case too, ive tried everything to get back any files and I couldnt find a way. I hope you get some luck