Windows 10 dual boot login and startup issues

emory.o.white

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I'm having a weird issue with a dual boot windows 10 system. OS "A" is installed on a SSD and the other on a HDD we will call OS "B". Both PC use local accounts to login and OS "B" is a no password auto login.

With OS "B" on shutting down the PC, when I start it back up it will auto boot into that install and not ask which OS I would like to boot into. However choosing restart rather then shutdown will bring me to the OS selection on boot.

With OS "A" I don't have any issues with switching between OS. But the login screen will make me login with my password twice. I get to the enter your password and on entering the password it will flash briefly as if accepting it then drop me back at the wallpaper before the login prompt.

Both OS have been working perfectly fine other then these 2 issues, they seemed to start happening after the creator updates started rolling out and those updates as well have reset default OS along with resetting any description changes to each OS via bcdedit.

I would prefer to not have to reinstall both OS, but does anyone have any ideas on anything I could try? on OS "B" should I try rebuilding the MBR or something along those lines? The OS "B" issue is a priority due to the annoyance of it.

I have run system check and a disk check on both OS and nothing came back from it. I just have no idea what to do.

*Update*

I was able to fix the issue with OS "B" using this tool but still stuck with the OS "A" issue. I tried disabling and re-enabling the password on the account and it is now a off and on issue. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't make me type my password in twice.