Get a 4k monitor with a 1080p graphics card

starwars245p

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card and at the moment have a 1080p monitor but i was wondering if i replace my monitor with a 4k monitor will make any difference or make the quality worst, being that the graphics card is 1080p

Graphics cards don't have an inherent resolution.

A 4K monitor will look better but your framerates in games will be less.

grady

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
With that graphics card, I would not recommend getting a 4K monitor.

If you intend to play games, you will have to lower the settings significantly to get good FPS. As far as I know, even a 1080 is only just about well equipped enough to run 4K decently on demanding games. (If that).

I would recommend looking at 1440p monitor instead.

But yes! You can get a 4K monitor and it will function.

Agreed. The 1060 plays nice with 1080p. A 4K monitor would necessitate at least a 1080 for 30FPS 4K gaming with some changes to in-game settings. The 1440p monitor would be okay with the 1060.

Technically speaking it will make the experience worse at your current settings because a 4K monitor just has too much real estate for the 1060.

The monitor dictates the resolution and not the card.

Why do you want to upgrade to a 4K monitor? Is there a budget or do you already own one?

If you do have a budget you might offer your complete specs.. Your can copy and paste https://www.piriform.com/speccy's summary page here. Or click on that Polaroid icon above the text box and paste a pic based url such as example. jpg or example.png. We might see a better place for your to invest your money in. Click icon, paste url, click ok and that would result in an embedded pic like
image.png