Why does Netflix cause my computer to stutter?

Snowburden

Honorable
May 9, 2014
So whenever I watch Netflix my whole entire computer starts to stutter. And it's only Netflix that does this. Youtube doesn't, Kodi doesn't, etc., only Netflix. I've seen dozens of people having the same issue but to no avail has there been a solution. I came across one on this forum stating to uninstall all the Microsoft Visual packages and graphics driver (fresh uninstall and install), but still the issue is there.

Here is my stats:

I7 5820K O/C to 4.0 Stable
MSI X99A Gaming 7 Motherbaord
DDR4 32GBs 2600MHz
GTX 1070
Windows 10
4 Monitor Set-Up

Solution

In my travels looking for a solution to your issue I did run by a guy who had issues at 144Hz and nothing wrong with 60Hz.

Hi Crigaas, I have almost the same setup as you and I also had stuttering in Netflix, but I found a workaround for my issue. For me it was the fact that I was running my display with 144Hz. There is a known bug with video playback...

How are you accessing Netflix? Through their website or with an app. Have you tried both? Does it cause this issue on all browsers? I'd try it with an app like https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/netflix/9wzdncrfj3tj if you haven't yet.

Snowburden

Honorable
May 9, 2014
Yes I have used both the app and the Website, same issue. I think I found the issue. While testing through Nvidia's control panel and turning off the certain monitors, whenever I am in 2 or more monitors I get the issues, but when I'm only using the one, I get no stuttering whatsoever.

Sweet :D Nice troubleshooting.

Snowburden

Honorable
May 9, 2014

Well my main monitor is 144hz, 1920x1080, and other 3 are 60hz, also 1920x1080.

Nvidia driver is latest: 388.71

And the stuttering issue has been a issue for quite a while, just trying to figure it out now. So the driver version is not the issue.

In my travels looking for a solution to your issue I did run by a guy who had issues at 144Hz and nothing wrong with 60Hz.

Hi Crigaas, I have almost the same setup as you and I also had stuttering in Netflix, but I found a workaround for my issue. For me it was the fact that I was running my display with 144Hz. There is a known bug with video playback in Win10 with high refresh rates. If I change it to 60Hz all is fine (100 and 120Hz also had the same issue)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7hm8ak/netflix_causes_my_pc_to_stutter/

Solution
Apr 25, 2018
And the stuttering issue has been a issue for quite a while, just trying to figure it out now. So the driver version is not the issue.

[/quotemsg]
Did you ever get this figured out? I have similar specs with two monitors (one at 100 Hz and one at 144 hz

Hz) and this started on me about 2 weeks ago. Driving me nuts. Thanks for the help.

Jan 14, 2019
I found the same problem on my computer using Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit). I decided to *Gasp* give microsoft edge a try and surprisingly there wasn't anymore stuttering. problem solved for me

i7 4790k
gigabyte Gtx 770
16gb ram
1tb SSD

MagmaticWolf

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Just started experiencing this myself

I just added a 3rd monitor to my setup and that's when it all started happening.

Before I was running 2 27 inch 144hz panels without issue but the second I added the 3rd this started happening.

I've also tried a clean install of GPU drivers and messing with hardware accel with no luck. Same as Curtis above when I use edge the problem goes away. It's a minor annoyance but at least Netflix can still be used.

Hope someone can figure this out.