relocate directories/HDD/Dell inspiron

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, I recently purchased a Dell inspiron laptop. I have Win10 on the SSD and want to add a HDD for storage. In the past I've done this by changing the location of the directories in the properties location boxes.
I was just poking around windows stuff in the new computer and in the System / Storage page is the option / more storage settings "change where new content is saved".
It lists all Drive C: for new apps, docs, music, pictures etc.
After I install the new HDD should I change the directories locations here rather than through the properties box?

Thanks as always

Solution

Thank You for the tip.
I never knew that setting option was there. I just used the properties locations.
I just examined my Windows...

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Personally I keep all apps on the SSD. However, pictures, movies, backups, data, etc. I point them to my Raid 5 NAS. I don't want to chance moving my desktop to my NAS, I have seen people do that because if this NAS dies, you wont have much for a desktop. Too, I have several shortcuts on my Desktop that point to my NAS. My humble opinion. Also depends on the size of the SSD. The last thing you want it to do is fill up because it will really slow you down due to the nature of how SSD's work to increase life expectancy.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Thank You for the tip.
I never knew that setting option was there. I just used the properties locations.
I just examined my Windows 10>Settings>System>Storage page and all of my storage is pointing to C:\ when it is actually stored on D:\.
So I guess it doesn't matter how or where you make the change?

However, for ease of access, all of my folders on D:\ are in the root directory (D:\Documents, etc.).
I'm not going to try it but I bet Windows will make a D:\Users\user-name\Documents folder if I changed the save location in the Settings page.

Solution

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Yes it would. It would essentially make my documents folder a short cut on your windows profile. In fact, I have done that on my system except it is on my NAS \\nasname\home\documents. So even though it looks like it is on my C: drive it is storing everything to my NAS.