EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 with ASUS PG279q real world results

DougEFresh333

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
ok, so here's the deal. i bought a GTX 1070 FTW2 this time last year, just trying to bump up from a GTX 780 i had previously. i wasn't expecting to be able to buy a new i7 8700k, ASUS Maximus X hero, Samsung 960 Pro M.2, and MasterCase 5 Pro with noctua case fans and Noctua NH-D15, but i bought all of this last month. i kind of bought this stuff on a whim, to upgrade all my older PC Components for the future. well, now, i am looking at Monitors, and i found the ever long battle between ASUS PG279Q, Acer Predator HB271HU, ViewSonic XG2703-GS, and AOC AGON's similar version. i am currently using an AOC 22" 1080p 60hz monitor, which does not fair too well with some of the games i have. it gets the job done, but not very nicely. i was going to go with the ASUS PG279Q, but i wanted to see if anyone has a similar setup as i do, with the GTX1070 FTW2, and see how a few different games play on the PG279Q. i play fallout 4, GTA V, and i bought The Witcher 3 but haven't played it yet. i like the smoothness i've seen in some videos and in real life, of the 144 hz screens. this monitor will also be used for streaming Netflix, Slingboxing (from my dad's tv in NJ to get Philly Sports) TV, and live sports (we don't actually have cable, so we stream everything we want to watch), so i want the IPS monitor, so we can still see it from anywhere in the room and the brighter colors. i have read that the 1070's cannot play games on Ultra graphics at 1440p at 144hz, and i've read that the 1070 would be better paired with a 1080p monitor preferably, i've read all of that, but i want to know if anyone has used it in real life with the PG279Q monitor, and what the real world results actually look like. how much difference is there really? it doesn't have to match my set up exactly. i was just wondering how it looks for someone with a similar setup. i will probably upgrade to a 1080 later this year, if i find it absolutely necessary, but if i continue to use my 1070 with this PG279Q monitor, how will it look? are there any real life test results i can review? i haven't found any yet. still debating on what to do. i almost pulled the trigger on the PG279Q this morning, but thought i'd ask around first.

Thanks everyone!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1070 can average around 70 FPS in most recent titles at maximum settings at 2560x1440. So many people recommend it for 60hz QHD. GTX 1060 is the usual recommendation for 1080p. (Witcher 3 may be excluded there, I would have to check, and it really depends on the settings)

The only suitable match for the QHD @ 144hz is really the 1080Ti, at least for max settings on recent titles.

Another way to look at it is you'll get that 100+ FPS in many titles that are out there and popular. And you'll have the monitor longer than your graphics card. I certainly thought of it as a long term investment.

The ASUS is an AHVA panel, not quite IPS, but it does have a 4ms response time and one of lowest input lags of any monitor. My understanding is a few IPS high refresh screens have been released. I've not done too much active research on them. There are uniformity issues with the PG279Q and Predator, not sure about the AOC I would assume so, but they aren't horribly noticeable in games.

DougEFresh333

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Yeah, fair point. this monitor is much better than the AOC i have, and the viewing angles are the same, so, i assume that it's a fairly good upgrade no matter what. and you are right, i'll probably upgrade my video card before i upgrade the monitor again. the 4k thing isn't a huge deal for me, as most of our movies and stuff will be played on the TV with the Blu Ray player, which are all 4k. i mainly wanted to get the smooth look when i play games, and for the screen to be viewed from anywhere in the room (or at least similar to the AOC i currently have), so when we are watching TV, i can still have the 76ers, or Flyers on the PC to watch. or, when we are watching NFL Redzone on the PC, and the Eagles vs Cowboys game on the TV. haha. the screens are next to each other, so we tend to watch multiple things at once when we are watching TV. we have an antenna, so basic channels come in, which we do watch during football season.

anyway, thanks for the response! i think i will pull the trigger on it. it'll be a good upgrade, regardless.