60k handles in task manager, how do I fix this?

Jan 5, 2018
I have only built my pc recently had had installed only my antivirus, games and drivers. I have downloaded csgo and found out that my fps was low yet I had a gtx 1070 and a ryzen 5 1600, so I thought I had a major problem and found out during researching my issue that having high handles indicated by task manager could be your problem. I read some forums seeing that 35k handles was pretty high, and when I looked at mine I saw 45-60k handles! I had just built this pc last month, and already it has 60k handles idle! I don't even know if this is normal cause I'm quite new to windows.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what I'm doing

Solution
I have 57k handles right now... your total isn't very big, really. I would think its about average (I couldn't find exact totals)

A process handle is an integer value that identifies a process to Windows. The Win32 API calls them a HANDLE; handles to windows are called HWND and handles to modules HMODULE.

Threads inside processes have a thread handle, and files and other resources (such as registry keys) have handles also.

The handle count you see in Task Manager is "the number of object handles in the process's object table". In effect, this is the sum of all handles that this process has open.

https://serverfault.com/questions/27248/what-is-a-process-handle

only way to reduce handle count is reduce amount of programs...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have 57k handles right now... your total isn't very big, really. I would think its about average (I couldn't find exact totals)

A process handle is an integer value that identifies a process to Windows. The Win32 API calls them a HANDLE; handles to windows are called HWND and handles to modules HMODULE.

Threads inside processes have a thread handle, and files and other resources (such as registry keys) have handles also.

The handle count you see in Task Manager is "the number of object handles in the process's object table". In effect, this is the sum of all handles that this process has open.

https://serverfault.com/questions/27248/what-is-a-process-handle

only way to reduce handle count is reduce amount of programs running.. and I don't think handles are the reason for your problem.

Solution