Restarted my computer in the middle of windows update, now it won't even boot. What to do?

xawisqo

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Hello, I just built myself new computer with i5 8600k gtx 980, asrock extreme 4, ssd etc.
But when I tried to overclock it I would get bluescreen. And I probably had to mess up something in bios as well because after some time I would get bsod even on freaking turbo boost.

After some time I played on stock I got windows update and then in middle of it it got stucked (at least I think so because it was taking like about 35 minutes.) I accidentally restarted computer and now I can't boot even into safe mode, because when

I press f8 I don't get past those command things and after some time it just says that computer can't finish instalation in safe mode, if you want to finish installation you gotta restart computer /or something along those lines because it is in my native language/ and if I try to install new windows from USB it installs normally and then on finishing instalation it just crashes and says that it was unexpectedly restarted so it can't proceed.

I was thinking of removing CMOS battery for about like 5 minutes, would that help? I was so hyped about this computer and now I feel almost depressed if I can say it like that. Please help me fix it.

Edit Expletives removed and spacing added

Solution
When it froze in windows update, was that at startup? Where did you get the installer from? How old is it? Its possible the update was a version update which can take a long time as its essentially a brand new install of win 10. Restarting during it will break windows - as you can see.

remove overclock, reset bios to defaults... guess resetting cmos does that but there is the option in bios as well.

Doesn't help to try to install win 10 on an overclocked machine

Did you do a custom install of win 10 the second time? Did you delete the old install or just install over top of it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
When it froze in windows update, was that at startup? Where did you get the installer from? How old is it? Its possible the update was a version update which can take a long time as its essentially a brand new install of win 10. Restarting during it will break windows - as you can see.

remove overclock, reset bios to defaults... guess resetting cmos does that but there is the option in bios as well.

Doesn't help to try to install win 10 on an overclocked machine

Did you do a custom install of win 10 the second time? Did you delete the old install or just install over top of it?

Solution