Repeated and random BSOD from "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" caused by ntoskrnl.exe and "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETCTED_VIOLATION" with rze

dash219

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
I just recently upgraded my motherboard/RAM/CPU from an old DDR3/8350 setup to DDR4/Ryzen 1600. Before this, everything was great.

I initially had repeated bluescreens that prevented me from booting at all, and Memtest86+ showed an insane number of errors when run.

The first step I took was installing a nice, fresh Windows install. Still, the errors continued.

However, after updating my BIOS, everything became much more stable. I now can run Memtest86+ for multiple passes and see 0 errors, and windows works fine.

Except when it doesn't.

I kept getting random "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs that BlueScreenView says are caused by ntoskrnl.exe

So I ran Windows' Driver Verifier utility as explained here

This caused a BSOD loop until I ran verifier /reset via a SafeMode command prompt.

Now that I'm back in Windows, I see two dumps created by the BSOD loop. Both read:

Bug Check String: "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION"

Caused By Driver: "rzendpt.sys"

From some googling I figured out this is a razer driver. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling razer synapse, but don't know what else to do.

I've run a CPU-Z stress test, and that doesn't cause a crash. I've run a UNIGINE benchmark, and that doesn't cause a crash. I've run Memtest86+ again, and I made it through two passes with 0 errors. I've tried playing some games. That SOMETIMES causes a crash, but not consistently. It's usually during loading screens, but other than that, totally random.

Below is a OneDrive link to a zip containing all of my .dmp files since I performed a system restore during this process. Please help me :(

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AotMJv39tlQlwGRHHcdU-MpZTk1L

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
If you didn't wipe the HDD before the "clean" install, you didn't really do a clean install. It's a pain in the butt, but when you do a hardware upgrade like you did, you really want to wipe the disk (DBAN is my preferred app: https://dban.org/) to prevent any possible problems. While a delete partitions/repartition/reformat usually works, it fails often enough that I always wipe a disk before any OS install/reinstall/major upgrade.

dash219

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

I did delete all partitions/reformat, and did so thrice out of desperation, but did not use anything like DBAN.
It also isn't an HDD, it's an SSD, though that may or may not be significant.

dash219

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

The Windows Install came from the Windows Media Creation tool on their website. Plugged an 8GB flash drive into my laptop, loaded it up using the tool, and then booted from it on my Desktop.
I agree that it's strange as hell. I immediately assumed it was a RAM issue since random programs were causing BSODs, but seeing as Memtest86+ doesn't see any errors, I'm lost.

Colif

Win 11 Master

my instinct when i see direct X crash, as well as Occulus, is to suspect cause is GPU drivers

Custom install of win 10 includes a format already, doing one before hand is just wasting more time

dash219

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
It was a RAM problem all along. Turns out your RAM can pass hours of memtest86+ with no errors and still be bad. The more you know.
Hope this is helpful to somebody.