Intel CPU Low Performance ?

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello , I saw a post about Intel CPU's which said that Intel CPU's have a performance drop because of "Kernel-Memory-Leaking" . So I want to ask , this performance drop was always ? I mean , did an update of Intel Chipset made this problem ? Can I avoid this performance drop if i don't have any new updates installed in my PC ?

Solution
If your talking about Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, the fixes in some scenarios "could" cause up to 20% performance hit, average consumer may not even notice. Better to have the fixes patched and not risk an incident. This is a hardware fault with the design of the CPU, which "may" be fixed in the next revision of CPU's produced, if they can ?
If your talking about Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, the fixes in some scenarios "could" cause up to 20% performance hit, average consumer may not even notice. Better to have the fixes patched and not risk an incident. This is a hardware fault with the design of the CPU, which "may" be fixed in the next revision of CPU's produced, if they can ?

Solution

Jwpanz

Honorable
The issue was a flaw in the kernal of many chips. The flaw was not limited to Intel but also affected AMD (to some degree) and ARM. Basically, the kernal would cache information for use and that cached memory is vulnerable to attack due to virtually no security protocols in place.

Read this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3245606/security/intel-x86-cpu-kernel-bug-faq-how-it-affects-pc-mac.amp.html

It explains the issue pretty well and hits on the performance aspect of things. Gaming is not affected and overall use of a computer is not affected. The patch only seems to hobble performance when the CPU is tasked with large workloads in some applications. I would highly suggest that you update your system as it’s only a matter of time before criminals exploit this flaw and attack those without an update.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
asus released a BIOS patch just today that addresses the issue. so far nothing has changed on my benchmarks after the install. dont know if it is a true fix to the issue tho.

i read that mostly the CPUs older than Skylake gets the most performance hit. most businesses run with older server CPUs.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

thanks for your reply

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

thanks !

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your answer !!

4745454b

Titan
The flaw doesn't really effect us users anyways. From what I've read the big worry is people renting space on a cloud server, and then reading the contents of the other clouds found on the same machine. Business's need to patch for sure as that's a huge no no. For a home user it's more or less a waste of time to try and attack them. You'd have to find a way to get code running on the home machine anyways and there are better way to do this than meltdown/spectre.

I don't mean to say don't patch. You should. But there are more important things to worry about.