After updating Windows 10, computer starts but no display on monitor.

lovemyredvette

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
My computer was working fine until I downloaded a Windows 10 Update. Since then, the Computer comes on normally, but the monitor light comes on with a green light as always, then 2 seconds later goes off. The monitor never comes on, remains black. I have rebooted many times. I've disconnected all the cords from the wall outlet. Nothing helps. Is it my monitor has just bit the dust? It is an old Compaq Flat screen CRT Monitor.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

can try startup repair - since you booting off the USB it should show a screen as usual
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if that doesn't help, see if we can get to safe mode:
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

can try startup repair - since you booting off the USB it should show a screen as usual
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if that doesn't help, see if we can get to safe mode:
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

what are specs of the PC itself?

Solution

johnm1492

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
I have had the same issue. Since windows updates including two updates which you cannot uninstall (KB4054022/KB4057247). This is on two new computers. 1st one was a Lenovo Flex 5 and current one HP 360. Both worked until the updates loaded. Unfortunately, could not prove it without returning the Flex 5 (it was a really nice laptop).
Anyway have contacted Windows Support asking for a way to uninstall the "UN-installable" updates (mentioned above)...no answer from them.
I do know/tested the following:
Hardware tested a total of 5 laptop on two TV (LG and Sharp) using two different HDMI cables. It's not my hardware! Two older laptops worked an old Asus which did not have the updates on it and a HP laptop which had windows update (KB4054022) but not KB4057247 on it.
Leads to believe that KB4057247 is the issue.

Again all 5 laptops (2 new ones) worked before the updates installed. NOTE: A total of five updates installed but only 2 are not UN-installable. I did uninstall the three other updates one at a time and had no effect on the issue.

As far as software fixes: tried everything from Lenovo scan to fix software and hardware, deleted and let windows reinstall the video drivers, total reinstall of windows several times, used windows auto fix itself, so far no way to stop the bloody updates from installing.
Many other items were tried...but I am willing to try anything to get this brand new laptop working!

I am glad at least one other person has the issue...I thought I was the only one but sorry that others are dealing with it also.

Last note: from a video card hardware...the flex 5 had a dedicated NVidia card (a 940MX i think); the HP 360 using the intel 8th gen build in graphics. The flex 5 was also an intel 8th gen.
So maybe it has something to do with the 8th gen processors; because the other 2 laptops used in my testing were 7th gen or eailer intel processors. Only thing in common that I know of which could be causing the issue.