ntoskrnl.exe ntkrnlmp.exe causing crashes

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
My computer has been crashing over and over, I did a clean instill of windows 10 and it still crashed. I updated all of my drivers with driver easy but it still crashed. It happens randomly and not during any specific activity, but I've narrowed it down to ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp. I looked up solutions in other threads, but still no success. I think it might also be caused by graphics card drivers but a clean install didn't fix it, so i'm really not sure what to do? If needed I can upload minidump files.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause
same applies for ntkrnlmp.exe, they both integral parts of windows 10

Yes, upload minidump files to a file sharing site and show a link here, we don't know what actual cause is yet.

shouldn't use 3rd party driver updating software like Driver Easy as it may install the wrong drivers.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I found some other strange things that may be the cause. I followed other threads that blamed nvidia graphics card drivers, but when I tried to fix it the drivers weren't in the same place as they were said to be in the thread. Another strange thing is the motherboard, I looked through the settings and it said something about windows 7 install support and it was enabled. Would that mess up windows 10 support?

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I haven't noticed much of a difference after using Driver Easy but I won't use it next time.
Theres a bit of a problem with sharing the minidumps. It won't let me upload them to google drive, said something about not being able to access the files due to permission.

Colif

Win 11 Master

50% of errors blame ntoskrnl as it is what crashed but it won't do that by itself, often it crashes because a driver doesn't do what is expected. Trying fixes for it on internet is a reasonable thought but there are so many drivers that can cause this that you may end doing more damage than good

Dump should give us more of an idea of cause

I wouldn't change much in bios without knowing what it actually does. If you change the boot method, the PC may not boot - that is possibly what the Win 7 setting refers to. How a hdd is formatted is different between 7 and 10, though 10 is backwards compatible and can use old or new format

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

It will let me move it to desktop and documents, but still won't let me upload it.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Im not the most informed on it but there was something about motherboards not supporting windows 7 installation, and this option would support it. I checked the motherboard settings and it was on, so could something thats supposed to be used with windows 7 installation mess up windows 10 installation?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Are you trying to upload the copy as it should let you do it from Documents (try copying to desktop and see if it works from there)

What motherboard do you have so I can look at what that BIOS setting might do.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Yes I tried uploading it from documents and the desktop. I really don't know why it won't let me upload it.
The motherboard I have is the MSI Z270 Arsenal Gaming Plus

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Haha i'm stupid. Heres the dump.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v3sPdpCJxwOKRZ_PLslgeLcsllWsL6Ng/view?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I don't know if this will help but I have 4 more dumps from the past hour. They're all caused by, well, ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe, I know that but I think they're just getting the blame for nvidia drivers.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pjegTUquzvcWATh9Eof6o_GLEOo85k1P
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yu_clAkwWdf0w0uwO92BvlXcChULh3n8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uYNk583FwzLk9mngh9EhyGC_xys8mjKY
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v3sPdpCJxwOKRZ_PLslgeLcsllWsL6Ng

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
This is really strange, I don't remember it crashing on monday or tuesday at all and now its crashing every 5-10 minutes. It seems to happen mostly when im playing games but I remember its happened just when ive been playing music on chrome.

It doesn't seem to be temperature related. I ran afterburner on some test for a good 5-6 minutes (much more stressful and sometimes longer than the games I normally play) so I think that can be crossed off.

More info, Chrome has been constantly crashing, sometimes only a page crashes, sometimes all the pages crash, sometimes it won't let me load anything until I restart.

gardenman

Splendid
1 of those was the same as the above dump file, it was just a copy of it. So here's the info for the 3 new files: https://pste.eu/p/q3SH.html

File: 011018-3640-01.dmp (Jan 10 2018 - 17:17:02)
BugCheck: [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File: 011018-3468-01.dmp (Jan 10 2018 - 17:12:50)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: lsass.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File: 011018-3437-01.dmp (Jan 10 2018 - 17:03:14)
BugCheck: [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: BeamNG.drive.x64.ui.exe)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try updating your logitech software, it appears it has win 8 drivers... if you use logitech gaming software, there is a new version from October.

Do you have a netgear wifi card? its drivers are from 2007 and are the oldest on PC, so I would see if you got newer drivers... it might be related to Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Wireless driver - if you having internet problems, it would be where I looked.

every other driver is from 2017

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I thought my drivers were all up to date and for windows 10, but I will check and see. I'm suspecting its more of a graphics driver problem, or maybe system file corruption, but who knows.

I think it actually might be the netgear. Its drivers probably aren't compatible, but I think my graphics card drivers have a part too since I reinstalled the drivers my computer has had really bad screen glitching and I have to restart to get rid of it. It covers the whole screen and it looks like a pattern.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2007 drivers are Win 7 drivers, they are no where near compatible with Win 10. replace these if you can, might want to think about a new WiFi card otherwise

Which Nvidia GPU have you got? Dumps don't tell me that info.

which drivers did you reinstall to cause glitch? If GPU, I would try the next link and instead of installing drivers using Geforce experience, run windows update and let PC find drivers, they might be older but might work better than the Current drivers do: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Might try removing GPU and running of onboard graphics and see if it makes any difference

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I have a GTX 970. Its still getting updates and im not completely sure they're causing the graphical glitches, might just be a side effect of the crash, but it only happened after I uninstalled and reinstalled all the graphics drivers. Right now im just trying to find time to get a new network adapter, as, there are probably no drivers that support windows 10 right now.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I THINK WE GOT IT. New usb internet adapter, but it still crashed, so I uninstalled all nvidia drivers and deleted the files, and of course reinstalled them. Think i've been running for two hours without crashing. I wouldn't be too fast to say its solved since its ran for two days without crashing but its showing some good signs.

I think its crashing less. Still crashing. Same graphical glitch though, blue screen with a bunch of short white bars across the screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not this bad is it? https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM8MceWKeTKfXT3Am3wivXRHNMyRgVpYgjRXOIcFom9JW6ZzShfYgnG7UjddKfugw?key=U2pSQmRyRVNDZWdzOVNudFVUNE1UVndfcTAxRXNR

cause thats another problem I am not sure about: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3614975/windows-freezing-desktop.html and so far everyone with it has an Nvidia card.

those are freezes though, not crashes.

try running memtest86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time. It lets you create a bootable USB stick. Only score you want is 0 errors. Anything higher than 0 = stick needs to be replaced/removed.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

So, I didn't have a usb drive to run memtest86, so I ran the windows memory diagnostics.
It said it needed to be replaced. So, I need to send my ram back and get new sticks im guessing?

I ran the memory diagnostics a few more times and it didn't show any more errors? Is it a hit or miss with the windows diagnostics?

I don't know whats up with this, unless the memory diagnostics are hit or miss none of the memory diagnostic tests past the first didn't show any errors, but its still showing the really glitchy screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want to get a USB and run memtest86 for a 2nd opinion. It does appear Windows tool can be inconsistent, from the searches I did on question.

You can see the results of each test in event viewer
search cortana for Event Viewer
Navigate to “Windows Logs” and then select “System.” Now on the right pane, select “Memory Diagnostics Results” to see the test results

can you show us some screen shots? I am not sure how they work but will figure it out :)

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Yeah I went through event viewer after I ran the tests, I think I ran 4 tests, only the first showed problems.
And yeah I'll find a usb drive as soon as I can to run the other memory test, it does seem more consistent.

oddkanga

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Is it possible to use memtest86 from a second hard drive? I don't have a usb stick on me currently but I have an empty second hard drive if its possible to use that?