Is my internet too fast?

tyclipscomb

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
So I ran over 20 internet speed tests at http://beta.speedtest.net/. Every time i do i get 8-10 ping, over 120 mbs download and over 12 mbs upload. Is this overkill? I don't know how much my family pays for our wifi but id like to know if this is way faster than ill ever need. Me and my family all commonly play online games and stream a lot of t.v on netflix, hulu, etc. I also commonly stream on twitch. So is this overkill or is it alright for my family of 4. This is all over wifi btw.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
There has never been a computer component that is too fast in the history of the world. :)

In all seriousness now.
Your family will find a use for all of that 120 mbs speed eventually.
Imagine one person watching Netflix, one watching Twitch, one downloading a game and one playing a game - All at the Same Time.
Now that 120 mbs speed is being shared by 4 people. ~ 30 mbs.
It won't be split evenly and each user is going to need more than their fair share at some point.

120 mbs is probably a good speed for your family. Today

I got a 75 Mbps downstream connection and yes it's more than I need. But I live alone.

120 Mbps downstream for 4 people sounds alright and especially the additional upstream comes handy (nothing more frustrating than when you're running out of upstream and everything is going slowly despite having tons of download speed)

You could get by with 100/10 probably, but in my experience the price difference is minor. 120/12 seems like a good speed for a household of 4.

It depends what you mean "stream on twitch". If you mean you transmit video then you need much more UPLOAD bandwidth than a more common user. It is not uncommon to need 6mbit/sec or more depending on how you setup your encoder. Online games also use upload bandwidth more than other applications. Not a lot maybe .5mbos but it adds up. Every open session even from netflix or whatever is constantly sending small amounts of data back confirming to the server it received the data.

So your connection is likely about the correct size for upload speed. You have to be very careful about getting close to the limit or you will get spikes of data loss in your video stream.