Windows 10 progressively slower

jobbo_fett

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with an issue I've been experiencing.

I recently built a custom system, with the help of a knowledgeable friend, and I installed Windows 10 on it. Initially, I had some BIOS issues causing the system to OC all the time and cause BSOD. Once I got that under wraps, I noticed that my computer will slow to a crawl the longer I have it on. Generally speaking, this takes about 4-6 hours before it is noticeable and performance drops.

I've experienced this while completely idle overnight, when playing games for extended periods of time, or while "switched user" with chrome, firefox, and a small number of programs running in the background.

I've currently used Malwarebytes to scan the system, with no returns. I've used CCleaner to make sure I didn't have any wonky registry files messing anything up. I've checked with Process Monitor, Process Explorer, and Task Manager and the only thing that seems consistent is an Idle System Process of around 50%, even if none of my programs actually use that much. For example, Firefox may show in Task Manager that it is taking 1.4g of RAM but Windows tells me that that amounts to 40% of all 16 gigs of RAM available.

I've tried updating all of my drivers as best as I could, save paying for products which may or may not actually resolve this.

Current system specs are:
i7-8700k
EVGA NVidia GTX 1080
16gigs of RAM (DDR4 SDRAM 3200)
ASUS Prime Z-370P motherboard
Windows 10 Home installed on an M.2 drive (256gb)

I feel like I've tried everything! I need help, please.

Solution
Was able to fix pc issues by going to "Device Performance and Health" and using the "Fresh Start" function. Used PC for 4+ hours, then it sat idle overnight with Chrome open and a few background processes, no slowdown (as of yet), or any audio issues.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you can check your virtual memory settings. press winkey+s. type "view advanced system". advanced. performance settings. advanced. virtual memory change. uncheck auto. select custom. copy recommended value as initial. max =2xrecommended. ok. restart.

you can also double-check on your BIOS if the XMP is enabled on your RAM. you might be running with just a 2133Mhz memory.

jobbo_fett

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

Hey Mark,

I already had the virtual memory set to something crazy like 4x the recommended, I'll drop it down to 2x. I also noticed that my motherboard set the Frequency to Auto, which, oddly, downrated it to 2133Mhz!

I'll try these new settings out and report back later, thanks!

*edit*

8 or so hours later, idling with Firefox and Chrome + background programs, and it is having the same slowdown issue. Audio randomly stutters or cuts out, input lag, task manager reports very high CPU and Memory usage. (Photo below)

MYCpaAL.jpg

I was downloading a file via Firefox at the time of that screenshot, but my main concern is the memory usage. Why is it reporting 60% usage on a 16gb system when its realistically a quarter of the total capacity?

jobbo_fett

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Was able to fix pc issues by going to "Device Performance and Health" and using the "Fresh Start" function. Used PC for 4+ hours, then it sat idle overnight with Chrome open and a few background processes, no slowdown (as of yet), or any audio issues.

Solution

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
while youre at TAsk manager. go to performance tab. open resource monitor. cpu tab. expand services too. sort by cpu. see what you find there. you can do the same for the memory tab.

oh okay. you were able to fix it then. most likely its caused by a software you installed then after your fresh install? but it feels like it couldve been your windows services operating on the background doing initial tasks or setting it up for recovery/rollback mode. but now the Cpu/Disk usage is brought down to normal. nothing to worry about then.