BIOS problems: Windows 10 won't load, cannot set up new SSD

MADDOGdb7

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
So I just got a new SSD (SAMSUNG V-NAND SSD 850 EVO) that I physically installed inside my computer. I'm going to describe step by step the issues that I've been facing.

I couldn't find my new SSD in Windows 10. I found out that I needed to find it in my BIOS first. I was able to confirm that my BIOS recognized my new SSD. The problem now was finding out how, within the BIOS, to get windows to recognize the new SSD (something that I was not able to explicitly find online). Stupidly, I started playing around in my BIOS, not smart but 'tis in the past, and now windows will not boot.

If anyone can help, I would like to primarily get my windows to boot again. And secondly, get windows to recognize my new SSD.

If anyone needs more info as to what is going on, please let me know what is pertinent for this scenario.

Solution
do you want the ssd as a data or boot drive??? if you want it as a boot os drive. from another pc and a 8g usb stick use the free windows media creation tool to make a bootable windows iso usb stick. unplug the power to the hard drive or the data cable so you wont over write any data on the old drive. in the bios under sata ports set the ports to achi not raid. under boot set the boot to usb. boot from the windows usb stick. when it asks for a windows key click skip. windows 10 will pull your key back in on first boot. windows installer should see your ssd. if it blank you should just click on next and about the time to make a cup of coffee the install should be done.

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
You probably need to go to the section of BIOS for boot order and put your boot drive back on top.

For the SSD, Windows will not see it because it has no partitions and isn't formatted. You do that from Drive Management in System Management. You can get there from the start button by typing or from control panel.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
If it's in your BIOS I am pretty sure Windows see it. If you are looking Windows Explorer it probably won't show as it hasn't been partitioned yet. Type Disk man in the search box and run Create and format hard disk partitions you should find you SSD listed. You'll need to create a new partition and give it a drive letter for Windows Explorer to see it.

do you want the ssd as a data or boot drive??? if you want it as a boot os drive. from another pc and a 8g usb stick use the free windows media creation tool to make a bootable windows iso usb stick. unplug the power to the hard drive or the data cable so you wont over write any data on the old drive. in the bios under sata ports set the ports to achi not raid. under boot set the boot to usb. boot from the windows usb stick. when it asks for a windows key click skip. windows 10 will pull your key back in on first boot. windows installer should see your ssd. if it blank you should just click on next and about the time to make a cup of coffee the install should be done.

Solution