I need help installing Windows 10 on my new PC! (Unique issue IMO)

ahamburg

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hello all,

My name is Aidan, and I just finished building my PC. I didn't watch a video that delved into specifics or anything, just read manuals and used common sense, and having never touched the internals of a PC before this, I'm pretty proud. However, I'd be even MORE proud if I could get Windows onto here. So my computer turns on and on the monitor it displays a black screen with some large text which I'm pretty sure is what you see before you install OS. I have Windows 10, and turns out I accidentally bought it in CD format, and I don't have an optical drive. I have seen online that I can get a fresh USB and put the CD in my laptop (that can read discs) and upload it from there. I haven't heavily researched how to do that specifically, but I imagine it's pretty straightforward. So heres the thing; at the moment, there is no USB in my house (at least that I can find), and I won't be able to visit the store for a couple days to pick one up. So I'd like to know, if I were to put the CD in my laptop, connect a USB cable running from my laptop to my motherboard, would that work in place of a USB? I'm also as I said before a complete newbie at this stuff so if you could possibly give me instructions on how to do that, that would be MUCH appreciated. I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I would love your help.

Thanks in advance,
Aidan

P.S.

Is it better to install Windows to an HDD or SSD? I have both (250 GB SSD and 2 TB HDD), thanks again!