A question about Display port cables in terms of quality

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Are there any brands that are better than others in terms of both visual quality and build quality, or is a display port cable a display port cable.

There is no difference in visual quality, but some non-certified cables have been known to be improperly wired. It is recommended to buy a VESA-certified DP cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Accell-DisplayPort-Cable-Locking-Latches/dp/B0098HVZBE/

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Yeah, like Glenwing said, the DP standard got a bit messy. They're not wrongly wired, the standard just changed dramatically making old-type cable cause displays to flicker due to a changed use of a power carrying wire (pin 20, I think it was). Safest bet is definitely to get a certified or at least a brand you've googled to be conformed to use newer wiring.

Version 1.5 (2.0?) is incoming this year, so brace yourself for any changes. :)

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

do you know when. i google it but couldn't find anything. If its coming soon i may as well wait a bit

It was changed between DisplayPort 1.0 and 1.1. No devices were ever manufactured under DisplayPort 1.0 as it was quickly replaced by 1.1 before it was implemented in anything, so it's not as if there are two competing correct versions of cables. When the cable specification was changed, it's not as if there were tons of "old" DP cables floating around, fully compliant and minding their own business, when suddenly the new spec was released and they became incompatible with newer devices. It was changed before DisplayPort ever came to market. Since DP 1.0 was never used, all DP cables in existence were manufactured when DP 1.1 or later was current, so from a practical standpoint DisplayPort has always required pin 20 to be unwired on standard cables. But it seems some cable manufacturers either referenced the deprecated 1.0 standard (unlikely, considering it has "SUPERSEDED - NOT FOR NEW DESIGNS" stamped in huge letters across the middle of every page), or (more likely) simply didn't read the 1.1/1.2 specification carefully enough. Looking for a "DP 1.1 cable" or "DP 1.2" cable won't avoid this, as it isn't a matter of manufacturers correctly following the old version, but rather not knowing what the current versions say. Considering most of these cables advertise themselves as "DP 1.1" or "DP1.2" cables, yes they are wired wrong. No excuses.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I don't think it'll be any time soon. It's probably going to be even longer for retail cables to show up. Anyhoo, you're better off with current cables than the next ones, as your graphics card is a current one. It was mostly a joke. Hopefully.