Can I open the same file from several folders?

fluffypigeon

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hi folks

I have learned a lot from this forum so i hope you can help me a bit here.
I have a lot of video files I would like to categorise with folders like "Funny", "Chill", "classic" etc., so not always the usual categories. For example I would categorise "Life of Brian" as both "classic" and "funny". What I would like is to be able to open my file from both folders without copying it so I don't end up with more than 1 of each file. Hope It makes sense and you know a good solution.
Thanks!

Solution
Hi, I think the closest thing to what you want could be accomplished by using the Windows 10 "Libraries".

Right click on your "Life Of Brian" folder and choose Include in Library and choose Create New Library. The new library will be created in the Navigation bar (left side). It may be difficult to find. Look under "Libraries" and you should see a "Life of Brian" library with a "Life of Brian" folder. Rename the library to "Classic".

image.jpg

You've created a Library named Classic with the Life of Brian folder in it. Now you can additional folders to that library by right clicking on the folders and choose Add to Library and choose the "Classic" library that you've created...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I think the closest thing to what you want could be accomplished by using the Windows 10 "Libraries".

Right click on your "Life Of Brian" folder and choose Include in Library and choose Create New Library. The new library will be created in the Navigation bar (left side). It may be difficult to find. Look under "Libraries" and you should see a "Life of Brian" library with a "Life of Brian" folder. Rename the library to "Classic".

image.jpg

You've created a Library named Classic with the Life of Brian folder in it. Now you can additional folders to that library by right clicking on the folders and choose Add to Library and choose the "Classic" library that you've created.

image.jpg

Afterwards, open your Classic library as a folder.

image.jpg

Right click in it and choose Arrange by and choose Name.

image.jpg

Now you have two folders together which can be viewed as one. You can add additional folders to the library. You can create other libraries. You can also add the same folder to different libraries, such as "classic" and "funny".

Solution

fluffypigeon

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018