Just how much difference would I notice with a 4k vs a 1080p in games?

jgauthier45

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have never had the opportunity to compare a 4k vs a 1080p side by side while a game of any type is running. I have a 4k LED tv, and when it's running a 4k signal the difference is noticeable. But that's in a 55" from halfway across the room watching movies or football, which doesn't really compare to games.

I'm extreemly tempted to get a nice ultrawide 2k monitor as it would serve double duty for working at home on those snowy days when I just don't want to drive into work, and a nice ultra wide would just help with CAD work a bit more. But it wouldn't help that much more that if there's a big noticeable difference between 1080p vs a 4k monitor in games, that I would miss it.

Also I'd be driving the 4k with a gtx980, which I understand wouldn't run all games at max settings. Eventually I plan to upgrade the card when the next gen comes out.

Here's the two I'm kind of thinking about.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824025514

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABJY4PF1494

Simon Kemper

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
4k is good if you are viewing the monitor from a distance. Otherwise if you are going to be close up to your monitor a solid 24" 1080p monitor is excellent. I think a 4k monitor is good for watching movies because it just displays everything clearer. I think alot of computer game graphics aren't being designed for 4k display except the newest games.

Plus, it's a decision of budget.

jgauthier45

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Trying to stay under $500, just trying to somewhat futureproof myself. But if the difference between 1080p and 4k isn't that great for games, I'm just going to go with the ultrawide as it will help out in other areas a bit more.

Simon Kemper

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Yea. It will be nice for other things is the key. It's just a fun toy anyways. it's nice to have a big display for better clarity. However, if you want to game at true 4k resolution you're going to need a powerful gaming system.

i think with 4k you definitely notice the clarity difference in games, however it also requires more gpu and cpu to run high settings.

If you're working with a $500 dollar budget, and are going to use the display for other things than gaming, I would go with 4k also. I don't know the life span on computer monitors, but I think it's something like up to 10 years. I've used a 1080p for 4 years and never noticed any decay. I think it just depends on quality of the model.

TRENDING THREADS