BSOD "ETD.sys" on Acer laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleaseuntar

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
I have an Acer laptop on my hand from a family member, and I am not able to repair it. The booting process always gets a blue screen of death. The problem appeared first thing in the morning around mid-december.

Acer Aspire E1-522 with Windows 10 x64. A few details are given on the BSOD: "ETD.sys - System thread exception not handled"

After a reboot on its own, it goes to "Automatic repair", which fails. Then, I get some advanced options to restore to an earlier savepoint, or to boot in safe mode. Both of those did not work.

As I found online, I tried to disable the touchpad by booting with a Win10 live USB, but without success. I also tried to search in the BIOS but advanced settings are hidden, and to display them is a problem of its own.

Any solution in mind? Thanks!

Solution
Got a mouse?? Looks like some people have fixed this by plugging a mouse in. And have been able to get into windows

It may detect it and stop it from crashing

And someone tried this it looks like it worked. If there's a command prompt option under advanced options run it

open command prompt as admin

x:\windows\system32>c:

c:\>cd windows\systems32\drivers

>ren etd.sys etd.sys.old

Then reboot

pleaseuntar

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Unfortunately, safe mode still gets me blue screen, so I can't uninstall any driver.

pleaseuntar

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Yes, I don't see why this would not work. But I would try that as a last resort. It would be a pain to reinstall everything, I am trying to find another solution

Got a mouse?? Looks like some people have fixed this by plugging a mouse in. And have been able to get into windows

It may detect it and stop it from crashing

And someone tried this it looks like it worked. If there's a command prompt option under advanced options run it

open command prompt as admin

x:\windows\system32>c:

c:\>cd windows\systems32\drivers

>ren etd.sys etd.sys.old

Then reboot

Solution
Feb 12, 2019
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here but I've used this site many times before. Thanks for all the help thus far. I'd like to continue this thread because it seems to have ended under the presumption that the last entry solved everything. Sadly it does not.
I'm running an Acer Aspire V5-431 series laptop (Model# MS2360) which originally came with Windows 8. I upgraded it to windows 10 home when it was offered for free a few years ago.

I've been having the same issue as the original poster for a month now. Don't get me wrong, I fixed it a month ago using the last post written by Paul Z. Problem is, it keeps coming back ... and it's frustrating.

This fix above isn't a permanent fix. What it doesn't mention is that once you reboot, your keyboard will not work. Luckily with an external mouse, Cortana and the onscreen keyboard, I was able to rename etd.sys.old back to etd.sys. Found out later by roaming through my device manager that this driver was need for my keyboard to function. Only thing that worked without it was an external mouse. My external keyboard wouldn't work either. Though, for now, let's assume I don't want to work with an external mouse and keyboard... how do we fix this issue permanently??
I've been researching this since my first incident and found out that this issue is caused due to an incompatibility of the newest ELAN driver pushed by a recent Windows update and my hardware.

I have already disabled ELAN from my services and startup (followed advice from another website). It doesn't help.

It's working now but I know for a fact that when I reboot I will get a blue screen. I can no longer update my Windows because of this and Microsoft, as always, is trying to push this off on user or computer error. Heaven forbid it's their fault. I never asked them to upgrade my drivers... it was working just fine.

So please, I'm at my wits end here. Been a techie for years now and have solved many issues but in this case.. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance for your help (or for at least trying) Take care

Feb 12, 2019
Hi again. I'm surprised that no one has responded yet. I haven't rebooted yet so no BSOD for me so far. I've created a batch file to rename my etd.sys file to etd.sys.old and one for the opposite. This way, when I know I need to reboot, I can automate the process to rename the file to prevent a BSOD and rename it back once I've rebooted. I've also made shortcuts to command prompt and the onscreen keyboard to help in the process.
It's a big pain in the you know where but it's the only solution I can find online. Microsoft hasn't helped and no one has thought of a permanent solution so I guess I'm stuck here for now. Hope somebody can figure it out.

Cheers and take care

Mettiti

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I had this problem too and i couldnt boot , couldn't restore, couldn't boot into safe mode

Here's what worked for me:

1) Let your computer boot into blue screen until you get to troubleshoot menu

2) Select Command prompt from advanced options

3) ETD.sys is located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
Rename it to something like ETD.sys.old OR outright delete it. Then exit cmd

4) Boot into Safe mode + Network OR boot into windows normally

Your keyboard and mousepad will NOT work.

5) To fix this, go on your laptop manufacturer's driver page and see if you can find ELANTECH driver or download ELANTECH driver from somewhere else.
This will add a new ETD.sys file to your system which you can boot your computer with without getting BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.