G sync or no

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
I am using gtx 1080 with i5 8th gen. Should I get a monitor with g sync or no g sync if I want my monitor to be 1440p and 144Hz. Please recommend models too.

If your monitor can go already 144hz, you do not need any Sync to get rid of screen tearing. Screen tearing is not visible or not existing on 144hz monitors.
GSync/FreeSync only shines on lower fps. Lower fps feels smoother than without...just do not expect magic to make 40 fps smoother than 90fps.
After using GSync for about 2-3 years, I do not feel it is worth the extra price especially if your system can deliver high fps most of the time. This is only my opinion tho'.
A simple 1440p 144hz is the main key.
However, if you want to get the most of your nVidia graphic card, GSync is the only way.
I would recommend ASUS PG279QR or ACER XB271HU, if you decided to buy the monitor with GSync.

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
I'm looking for at least 27" and if it's so ex, i don't think I'll get the ones with G Sync. I just dont want to spend too much on a monitor. But I want it to have good resolutions, high refresh rate, and low lag. I use my computer everyday. Be it gaming or not.

You don't wanna or you can not?
The biggest mistake people make is going cheap on monitor.
I want to ask you, how do you know if your PC is good for gaming? through a monitor.
How long are you going to stare at your PC during gaming, is it longer than you are staring at your monitor? Of course you will stare at the monitor more during games.
The fact is also, people tend to keep the monitor far longer than people keep the PC...not to mention the graphic card, which usually will be replaced more often.
Do not go cheap on monitor just because you do not want to...however do not force your wallet to do so.
If you can not afford it, there is no point pushing hard to buy more expensive monitors.
GTX1080 deserves 1440p 144hz. Such monitors are not cheap, even without GSync.

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

I game/use my computer for at least 8 hours a day. Especially during my off days, I'll tend to be in front of my computer for longer hours. And from your opinion, what is the monitor that you recommend? I can just push a little more budget if I really have to

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

I am from Singapore and my max budget is SGD800/ USD600

For USD600, you can not reach even PG278QR (TN version of PG279QR).
There are either a FreeSync versions or completely without Sync for 27" 1440p 144hz ASUS MG279Q (IPS), MG278Q (TN), ACER XF270HU (TN), BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 (TN), etc. and they should be somewhere near USD500-600.
If you are running FreeSync monitors with nVIdia card, you simply can not use FreeSync/GSync and they are only normal monitors.

I dunno if the shops (Harvey Norman, shops in Funan, etc.) display them since I am not from Singapore. It is a habit of mine to always take a look of things physically before buying.

The S2716DG (TN) from Dell is good.
I always like Dell mainly because of the build quality.
I am currently using ASUS PB278QR (60hz IPS) and Acer XB270HU (144hz IPS GSync), but I use quite often Dell, like the monitor before these 2 were 2xDell U2412M.

Well, if you can afford GSync. It is better to have it.

BTW, I hope you know this but I would avoid shops in SimLim if possible. They will try to trick you almost all the time.

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Okay then I think I'll just get the S2716DG for SGD799. Unless you have any other recommendations