How to remove anti glare coating?

VicciVicVic

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
I was wondering if this monitor (https://www.viewsonic.com/vn/products/lcd/VX3276-2K-mhd.php) can be opened so that I can take off the anti glare coating as I really want a glossy screen.

VicciVicVic

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

In one of Linus Tech Tips' videos he said that one of Luke's exes had accidentally wiped the anti glare coating off while cleaning the screen with Windex. Would I be able to use rubbing alcohol or something else similar to wipe it off?

VicciVicVic

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

Since it's I'm an expat that lives in Asia and it's pretty much only available here, I haven't since the one that there are I don't understand and there is no video of removing the back panel.

You're mixing up two different things.

You've got a matte monitor. The top layer of glass has an almost-microscopic bumpy texture to it which scatters light. So instead of reflecting light like a mirror, it reflects as a dull sheen like an old car paint job. The only way to turn it glossy would be to grind and polish that bumpy layer off. In theory you could do it (check with telescope-making forums on how to grind glass). But in practice it would be cheaper just to buy a new monitor.

The anti-glare coating that was mentioned in Linus Tech Tips is an anti-reflective coating, like you can get on eyeglasses. They're a chemical coating a few hundred nm thick. When light strikes the surface, some of it reflects off, some of it passes through and reflects off the glass. The thickness is chosen so that these two reflects are half a wavelength apart and cancel each other out, thereby reducing the reflection. Glossy monitors use them (at least some of them do) to try to minimize the reflections. These can be stripped off with abrasive glass cleaners like Windex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating

Your monitor reduces glare by scattering reflections (reflecting in all sorts of different directions). The layer that was removed in Linus Tech Tips reduces glare by canceling out reflections.

VicciVicVic

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

How do you know it's not a piece of film glued across the actual glass underneath?

TRENDING THREADS