HMDI Cable 4K Issue

kusay000

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
So I’ve got a little bit of a problem with my HDMI cable when trying to display something above 1080p.

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/kogan-28-ultra-hd-4k-led-monitor-ultra-hd/?utm_campaign=postsaleorderconfirm&utm_source=dse&utm_medium=email

This is the exact monitor I have. I plug the HDMI cable that it came with into my graphics card, a 1080 Ti, hoping to be able to set the resolution at 4K but I am unable.

This is the only connection I have going between the monitor and my PC. The only other connection the monitor has is the power cord.

https://assets.kogan.com/files/usermanuals/KALED28UHDMA-QSG.pdf

This is the manual for the monitor and on the second-last page it specifically says that HDMI can function in 4K at 60Hz.

Problem being, the I can’t set any resolution higher than 1080p @60Hz with the HMDI.

When I open NVIDIA Control Panel, it actually reads the connection as DVI enough though it was HDMI so that might be the key issue.

I tried it out with an actual DVI cable that came with the monitor and it worked 100% according to the manual specifications.

I ran 4K on the DVI @30Hz, 1440p @60Hz, and 1080p @60Hz. As I said, these numbers are 100% accurate to the manual.

This leads me to believe that the issue is the cable but perhaps it could be the software (NVIDIA Control Panel). HMDI ran 1080p @60Hz, as specified by the manual, and maybe the reason why it can’t go higher is because of NVIDIA Control Panel not being able to read it correctly.

What do you guys think, is it the cable or the software?

If it’s the cable I guess I’ll have to get another one and if it’s the software then please tell me how to remedy it.

I thought that it could be because the HMDI cable was not 2.0 but it can't even do 1440p, it'e literally just stuck at 1080p.

(Newly-built PC as well (with the latest 1080 Ti driver))

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
RAM: (2x8) 16GB DDR4 3000Hz
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix z370-e
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti OC Edition

If anyone could get this issue resolved, I will be immensely grateful.

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017

huh, I guess you can.