Reinstalling Windows 10, 1 Hard drive, multiple discs - Remove everything?

nikean

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hello, sorry for probably spamming this as it has already most probably been answered, also the title could go long way to being readable.

I am about to reinstall W10 after it not being able to start up. Now the problem is that I have one harddrive and 2 discs, C: and E:. Windows is located at disc C, is it correct that if I choose Remove Everything from the reinstall menu selection that it deletes whole C: drive but leaves my E: drive intact? Or will it restart both of the drives?

Thank you and sorry for my noobishness!

Solution
Correct. It will only format and delete data on the disk you select during the Windows Installation. E drive should not be effected by this as long as it is a totally separate hard drive and not just another partition on the same hard drive.

nikean

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Both discs are on the same hard drive.

If thats the case, as long as you only install it on the C partition and leave the E partition "as is" during the windows installation. You should be OK.

However, I have ran into issues in the past (rare) where windows just randomly formatted the whole disk and I lost all my partitions. So because it is not a separate hard drive. I would recommend you backup the contents of E partition before you install Windows just to be safe.

You could remove the drive and use a usb adaptor or docking station to copy the E contents to another drive or system etc...

nikean

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

It is over 1 TB, so my external one wouldn't handle it, I'll risk it for the biscuit. Thanks a lot!