4k monitor stuck at 30hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl fri

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I bought a LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K monitor and when I connect with the provided HDMI 2.0 the refresh rate is stuck at 30hz.

Solution
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/497685-does-the-powercolor-r9-380-support-hdmi-20/

Looks like your gpu is only hdmi 1.3 which is 4k/30. Displayport to hdmi 2.0 adapter woukd be required.

Edit: or just get a displayport cable if both have the port.

Bundled cables have QA problems too. Running at 30hz is almost always a cabling issue.

According to the LG 27UD58-B Owner's Manual 4K @ 60Hz using the HDMI port is only achievable when the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting is set to ON.

If the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting is set to OFF then the maximum refresh rate will be 30Hz.

Really? In my experience it's almost never a cable issue... I see a lot of threads like this where people suggest trying a different HDMI cable, but it almost never turns out to be the solution. It's almost always a setting on the TV/monitor that needs to be turned on (as mentioned above), or the TV/monitor/GPU simply doesn't have HDMI 2.0 in the first place.

The HDMI cable that came bundled with my 4k screen did not support 60hz. Switching to a DP resolved the issue for me. There was no obvious setting to enable it.

Owl fri

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Ive tried setting it to HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR but no luck

Can your PowerColor Radeon R9 380 even output a 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz signal on its HDMI port?

I suspect your graphics card only has an HDMI 1.4a port that supports a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz.

You'll need to use the graphics card's DisplayPort along with getting a DisplayPort cable.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/497685-does-the-powercolor-r9-380-support-hdmi-20/

Looks like your gpu is only hdmi 1.3 which is 4k/30. Displayport to hdmi 2.0 adapter woukd be required.

Edit: or just get a displayport cable if both have the port.

Solution

Owl fri

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

My 380 has a display port along with my monitor, if I just get a display port cable would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.