Windows 10 crashes after restart, but not after a shutdown

mike.weigand

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
I have a new Windows 10 desktop build (specs below) that crashes/hangs every other boot.

The issue is when I restart Windows the PC reboots and when it gets to the lock screen it will freeze, followed by a loss of video signal. Sometimes I am able to login, but experience hanging and freezing until there is a loss of video signal. I am then forced to power off. When I start backup I am able to login and the computer runs fine. I have checked the event viewer and the only noteworthy events are:

1) Kernel-Power event ID 41
2) Bugcheck with the following message: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff9f02241fb4a0, 0xfffff8080038df80, 0xffffffffc0000001, 0x0000000000000003).
3) Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This only happens when I choose restart the computer. If I use shutdown, Windows will boot and run normally when it starts back up.

I have upgraded all drivers to the latest versions.
I have disabled Fast Startup as has been advised in other posts I have read.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

ASRock B250M-HDV
Core i5-7500
8GB RAM
256 Crucial MX100 SSD
Windows 10 Pro (1709) (UEFI mode)

Solution
Do you have a graphics card?
1) this is a result of a report windows 10 runs at startup to check if it closed normally the previous shutdown. Since it didn't it created Event 41. It is a reaction, not a cause
2) 0x00000116 = Video TDR Error

So after turning off fast startup, it still acts like that? This seems strange then, as turning off fast startup should mean PC turns off after a shutdown, making it the same as restarting. (With fast startup on, the only time the PC actually is off is during a restart). There should be no difference now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have a graphics card?
1) this is a result of a report windows 10 runs at startup to check if it closed normally the previous shutdown. Since it didn't it created Event 41. It is a reaction, not a cause
2) 0x00000116 = Video TDR Error

So after turning off fast startup, it still acts like that? This seems strange then, as turning off fast startup should mean PC turns off after a shutdown, making it the same as restarting. (With fast startup on, the only time the PC actually is off is during a restart). There should be no difference now.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS