Help please about Ripjaws 1600

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys. I just bought second hand G.skill Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL on which says (2x2Gb) and it has 1600 Mhz.
Now. When I enter Bios it says it only clocks on 1333 Mhz, so if I understand correctly SDP is guaranteed to work on 1333 Mhz and stick is working regularly on 1600 or I'm missing something here so please explain that to me?
And yeah, one more thing, why do I get only 2Gb from the stick when it says F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2x2Gb) on it???
I have checked on CPU-Z and My computer and its correct, stick is running on slower and has lower memory than it writes on the sticker. So please again can someone explain this matter to me.

Thanks in advance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The serial number explains. You bought 1 stick of ram that's only half of the 4Gb (2x2Gb) kit. Each stick being 2Gb.
Depending on your mobo/cpu will determine max speed supported by Ram, but likely is that the default speed is 1333MHz and you'd need to set xmp profile for 1600MHz, it's not automatic.
Cpu-Z reads data rate, ddr3 is dual data rate, so cpu-z will read 667MHz for 1333MHz ddr3 or 800MHz for 1600MHz ddr3. So while it might look slower, it's not.

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Thanks for quick answer, my board is Asus B85-m but still no dice...

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Oh, so I need to buy another same stick to get maximum out of this memory if i understood it correctly?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There should have been 2x sticks in that kit. They are matched up at the factory so are rated by the factory to work together without issues. The sticker you see says that that particular stick is half of a 4Gb (2x 2Gb) kit. By itself, you should be able to get maximum performance out of the ram, it'll run at its rated 1600MHz and timings with no problems. But what you get is only 2Gb because you are missing the other stick which would have been the full 4Gb.

Basically its like you went to the store, grabbed a pair of men's black socks off the shelf, got home, ripped open the package only to find you have 1 sock, even though the tag says 'pair'

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Damn it. Thank you bro.