Installing a second WIN10 in a new SSD m.2?

javier_ers

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hi, can you tell me if this procedure would work? (or why not?):
- Download win10 iso (DVD)
- Install new SSD m.2
- BIOS: boot 1st from dvdrom
- BIOS: DISABLE old HDD
- Install new win10 in SSD
- BIOS: boot 1st from SSD
- BIOS: ENABLE old HDD

why?... my actual HDD (win10) has a lot of software that I need time to time (maybe twice a year, one or two weeks each time) but it was very painfully to compile, and is almost full (1TB), but my new SSD is not capable to backup all the sensible information. My idea is to use SSD most of the time, but if I need to use some special sofware of my HDD:
- BIOS: boot 1st fron HDD (old win10 full of installed "dependecies" for the software I need).
- Do my job :), then:
- BIOS: 1st boot from SSD.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I am not sure if the bios will like this arrangement, it really depends on the motherboard and if either/both drives are GPT. Some motherboards use windows boot manager to boot GPT drives and it records the boot devices here. If 2nd drive overwrites the data here when you install win 10, your PC may not even look at the 1st drive at boot even if you re enable it.
It'd still be smart to backup/prepare to transfer all the relevant software over to the new OS.
Because otherwise you just have to juggle OSes to use different software.
When instead you could just have the one OS and install the programs back onto the 1TB hdd.

Though... if these are like Quickbooks files or something.... just get an entirely new computer and don't even try to fuss about with anything that will break their dependencies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure if the bios will like this arrangement, it really depends on the motherboard and if either/both drives are GPT. Some motherboards use windows boot manager to boot GPT drives and it records the boot devices here. If 2nd drive overwrites the data here when you install win 10, your PC may not even look at the 1st drive at boot even if you re enable it.

Solution