Driver Issues Windows 10

dnatomshardware

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Help! this one has been going on for a few days now so bare with me.

I got a new motherboard (I used to have amd and I got an intel processor so I had to switch my old one out), cpu(+liquid cooling), and ram for my desktop this Christmas.

I installed my new hardware and started up my computer. Everything worked, however, about 15 minutes into using it it shut down with a blue screen. I did some research and found out that when making a motherboard switch you need to wipe the old drivers or do a clean install of windows. So I began to try to fix my drivers, leaving a clean install as my last resort.

I went into device manager and got rid of anything that looked old, I re installed graphics drivers, I used my new motherboard installation disk to add the new drivers, but to no avail. Every 10 minutes or so I would get blue screens(I will list all of the errors I’ve gotten afterwards since they would cycle a lot). I tried doing sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt but to no avail. I tried making sure my ram was being detected, and switched around the order of the sticks as well, but that didn’t seem to be the problem either. I tried doing virus scans to, but no threats were found and I never had virus problems with my desktop anyway.

After constant tustle I finally came to my clean install option. I do not own a copy of the windows 10 installation disk because I bought windows 7 when I got my desktop and later did the free upgrade. So first I tried doing a clean reset from within windows 10 but it would start doing the reset, than I would get the “something went wrong and we’re reverting changes” and it would revert everything back. So I tried running the media installation tool to download a copy of windows to a usb and reinstall it that way. However, in the process of the verification I got this error : “There was a problem running this tool, We’re unsure what happened, but we’re unable to run this tool on your PC. Error code : 0x8007000D - 0xA0003”. After this my computer started getting it’s routine bluescreens right on start up so I couldn’t use the desktop anymore.

After this I tried using the media installation tool and USB from my windows 10 laptop. I had problems with this as well, but at the end of the day I managed to download an ISO file and burn it onto a usb using a program called rufus. I plugged the usb in to my desktop and booted from it. The installation screen began and I deleted all the files from my C: drive(Where I had windows installed, thinking it would get rid of any driver problems I had). The download began and went fine until it stopped and gave me another blue screen. I tried doing fixes using the cmd prompt but got no success, I can’t boot into safe mode because windows isn’t installed yet.
Any help anyone could give me with this would be greatly appreciated, I’m all out of ideas and the solutions online for my problems require me going into safe mode.

I will now list all of the blue screen errors/stop codes I have gotten below as well as my computer’s specs.

Blue screen stop codes: :

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(What failed: NTFS.sys)
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
MEMORY_MANAGEMNT
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA(What failed: BEDaisy.sys)
RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
101_INITIALIAZATION_FAILED
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION(This one happened during getting files ready for installation step of windows 10 installation)

Also gave me this error but without a blue screen during the installation :”Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D” quickly followed with another error window saying: “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0xC0000005”.

Here are the computer specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B250M-Ds3H (Old one was an Asus m5a97 r2.0)
CPU: intel core i7- 7700k (old one was and AMD fx6300)
Cooling: Corsair hydro series CPU cooler H60(old one was just the cpu fan that came with the cpu)
Graphics card: Nvidia geforce 970 Asus strix
Ram: Ballistix Sport Lt (8gbx2) DDR4 288 pin
Power source: Corsair CX500M
SSD: samsung 120gb
Hdd: 3tb

Solution
If you're using old storage devices:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

I still think you may have made your install media wrong, the Media Installation tool should be fool proof.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Here's our guide for it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html
Since you're likely going to use your laptop to make the install media, On step 5 though, DO NOT press the "use recommended options for this PC" checkbox, because you're making one for your desktop, manually make sure it has the right info to make one to be compatible with your windows 7 upgraded edition. (are you sure it wasn't 32 bit windows 7 you had?)

Also, if you upgraded to windows 10 on your old AMD motherboard, you can't transfer that to your new Intel one, you need a new copy of windows.
Also, you may need to update your motherboard BIOS first:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl

dnatomshardware

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

dnatomshardware

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Thank you for the response, I've been trying what you said.

Yeah the storage devices are all 2 years old so not very old, I checked the Bios anyway and set everything to UEFI. I've tried using my media installation tool from my laptop however it always fails to download completely, and I've already tried using different USBs/mess with the settings and formatiing of the USB (my solution to this one was to download the ISO file instead and burn it to the USB using rufus which turned out to work).

As for the new copy of windows, do you mean I need to spend another 100$ to buy another disk/code?

And I'm not sure how I could download the new motherboard drivers, because I don't have windows on my desktop anymore since I wiped my ssd.

Yes, you need to buy a new Windows 10 License.
You can download drivers/BIOS on any computer, just don't install them on the wrong computer. The BIOS are not drivers persay, they're code specifically for the motherboard itself, that are installed from the Flashing utility in the Motherboards BIOS (copy them onto a USB drive that has been formatted in FAT32).

Old storage drives not so much referring to age, but to reused/formatted with a certain style of partition table. Older windows would use MBR, Windows 10 and above kind of needs GPT.

The failure to complete with the tool makes me think maybe your internet connection on your laptop may not be stable, and the media creation tool isn't smart enough to handle resuming a download. You can use the tool to download an ISO as well, which you could burn to a DVD, but only if your new computer has access an optical drive.

Solution

dnatomshardware

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I'm gonna try to download the motherboard drivers to a USB.

For the storage problem you're referring to, would it have come up already since I had windows 10 already installed on my ssd before?

I think you might be right on the internet connection part, there might be something wrong with my wi-fi, I'm gonna try going to go at a friend's house today and do the download on his network to see if that fixes it.

As far as the license is concerned, when I get to the install I just check the "I don't have a key" option and the installation proceeds, so when is not having a new license gonna start giving me problems? (I'm guessing that the error I get later during the installation is not due to the license)

dnatomshardware

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
I reset my Bios defaults by taking out the motherboard CMOS battery and plugging it back in, after that windows installed normally and everything is working for now. Great thanks for all your help!