WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSODs, please help!

malkinson

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
I have tried everything I have found to try and fix these two BSODs myself and I have thus far had absolutely no success and I am at my wits end.

Since September of last year, I have been having PC crashes with BSODs and sudden restarts with no BSOD, but using WhoCrashed I can see that it is usually because of the same issue.

BSOD #1 and most frequent (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)
On Sat 1/13/2018 3:54:31 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011318-37203-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75DA83)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC78ADE564038, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

BSOD #2 (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)
On Wed 12/6/2017 10:08:29 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF80206E6E154)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80206E6E154, 0xFFFF9200D431EE30, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

An additional error I ran into without a BSOD but found it in WhoCrashed after a sudden restart
On Tue 1/9/2018 8:23:25 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFDD81F936A070)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFDD81F936A070, 0xFFFF9D0033F03EB0, 0xFFFFF8020681574F)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

This is the first time I've had the error and I haven't had it since.

I have used DriverEasy to ensure that my drivers are up-to-date and the only one not up-to-date as of now is something called AMD SMBus, which I'm having trouble understanding what it's for and I'm not able to spend the money on DriverEasy to have them install it for me on whatever it is. (NOTE: I do not use DriverEasy in its capacity to update the drivers, just to find what's supposedly out-of-date.)

Here is a screenshot from Speccy
2pHzkdS.png

Here is a screenshot of the most recent error from BlueScreenView
tc0gdVU.png

Here is the dmp file from earlier today http://www.mediafire.com/file/96wp8d49umjxlja/011318-37203-01.dmp

I have done clean installs on my graphics card drivers, I rolled my PC back before the errors when this first started and it didn't help. I keep drivers up-to-date as they come in, checking everyday. I've made sure my PC isn't overclocked. I replaced the fans in my PC because one did die and I thought that might be the cause but the errors continued. I replaced my RAM, which provided noticeable improvements in other areas but the overall problem and crashing did not stop. I have been all over these forums looking for a solution and I've come up empty.

Please help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by the CPU but not necessarily caused by it

Can be caused by some overclocking software.
Remove MSI Afterburner if installed.

I will ask someone to look at the dump files.
I generally don't recommend 3rd party driver updaters as they can and will suggest wrong drivers sometimes.

You could run Prime95 on CPU and see how it gets any errors.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/WYqW.html

File: 011318-37203-01.dmp (Jan 13 2018 - 15:54:31)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

The BIOS information was not included within the dump file which can sometimes mean you have an outdated BIOS. See if there are any updates.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
3 drivers loaded, uptime of 8 seconds. it crashed accessing drives so there aren't any drivers there for me to point at that are obvious.

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP Parameter 1: 0x8 -
0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

- A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.
- A hardware problem.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7f--unexpected-kernel-mode-trap

WHEA error kind of points to hardware too, just what exactly. Did you replace ram since the 9th? As the kernel trap is often ram.

updating BIOS could be the answer.

malkinson

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I just ran Prime95 and within 30 seconds, my PC crashed with a WHEA BSOD.

I replaced the ram yesterday (01/13).

malkinson

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I attempted to update my BIOS but there are no updates that I could find that apply.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now if only system stayed on longer than 6 seconds, we could try that... one question I have though (Not really for op), is the uptime recorded the PC or windows? If PC crashes before windows loads, its going to be hard to replace those sata drivers.

Try downloading a Linux live usb and boot into it. See if it encounters any problems. That will tell me if its windows causing the errors or hardware

malkinson

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did. I directed it to where I had downloaded the most recent one and it gave me that response.