OS on a separate drive.

coolcatt

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
I would like to install the OS on a separate drive. I currently have apps on another drive together with the OS. After installing the OS on a new and dedicated drive would I also have to reinstall the apps?

Would there be an issue if the apps were originally installed on the same drive as the OS and then have the OS moved to another drive? Eventually I plan to wipe the original drive clean and reinstall the apps by themselves deleting the original OS.

P.S. I just rebuilt my built my PC (new MB) I just moved the drives over (OS & Data) Should I have reinstalled the OS as well? Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize I'll better explain my situation.

- built new pc
- moved ssd over which already had OS (win10) and apps
- I also moved another ssd which has photo / video files.
- configured system this way in order to separate OS/apps and data files.
- system has been running fine however there have been a few blue screens.
(watchdog violation / kernal power) this has happened apx 5X in 1month
- I read an article which recommended to perform a clean install of win10
- I was thinking to install the OS on a new and dedicated drive (without the other apps) and obviously making this the boot drive.
- this config would also have the benefit of reinstalling Win10 in the future without affecting the other data.
- I'll then have 3 drives (1)-photo / video / data. (2)-apps & the original OS win10 (3)- fresh install of win 10

Question:
- after making the 3rd drive the boot drive will the apps on the 2nd drive function properly as they were originally installed with the os on the same drive?

Solution

You can have the OS and applications installed on different drives.
But you have to install the applications on that actual different drive...
You can't move things from one hdd to another. Unless you use some cloning program

Which may or will copy everything

And I dont think you can install apps, (if you mean the Windows apps), by themselves onto another hdd

If you want apps on another hdd, you'll have to reinstall windows

And since you replaced the mobo, you'll have to reinstall windows anyway.

Not a good idea if the hdd was installed (and connected to another mobo) and you copy whatever to another hdd. With a new mobo

It'll crash on you

USAFRet

Titan

You can have the OS and applications installed on different drives.
But you have to install the applications on that actual different drive. You can't just "move" them later.

And you really, really can't 'move' the OS', unless you do an actual clone operation.

What are you actually trying to do?
With what drives?
And why?

Solution