DPC_Watchdog_Violation and USB Drives.

0boolean1

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hi there, I'd love some help with this.

I've been getting the DPC error, and I've looked through all the Tom's threads (and others) and have done all the necessary driver updates, including to my SSD boot drive. I'm still getting the error very frequently.

I've noticed it seems to happen more if I'm working from an external USB drive (in this case, I have to, for a large film[strike][/strike] project)

I've tried "removing" USB devices in the device manager, but I'm really shooting in the dark as to what to remove and why.

I would be really grateful for a little help sorting out my USB drivers -- or some advice if that is a red herring.

IMG_5021.JPG

Basic Setup
Windows 10
Asus X99 E-WS
Intel 5960X
2 NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 1080 TI

Solution
This file nvlddmkm.sys is crashing it your video drivers

This file needs updating CBDisk.sys it's 8 yrs old - Something made by Eldos - CallbackDisk Virtual Storage Driver.

Either update it or uninstall whatever the program is

0boolean1

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks for digging into that. Two questions, since I'm new to the Windows ecosystem:

what do I do with nvlddmkm.sys then? That has something to do with my NVIDIA cards. I update my drivers regularly, where to I find to fix?

Where do I find CBDisk.sys to update it?

0boolean1

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
A search revealed CBDisk.sys to be in two places:
Windows\System32\Drivers
Program Files\Mediafore\MacDrive10 -- That's my install of MacDrive.

Same search revealed nvlddmkm.sys in three places:

windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvi_dispi.inf_amd64_XXXX
windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvi_dispi.inf_amd64_YYYY
windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvi_dispi.inf_amd64_ZZZZ

where x y and z are random strings of characters.

So, for both of these files, what are my next steps?

Thanks very, very much. I feel closer to solving this than I have been in months.