Rank My build + How to beat the OEM licensing?

Tomas_269

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Hey, i was using a prehistoric HP 15 b130sc until now, and currently i've got parts in shipping for a desktop. I had to replace the motherboard twice, as the original got some resistor or what burned, and the first replacement was bad buy, since the dedicated graphics was not working (and mobo looked like baked in oven anyways). I was doing some light gaming on that (or.. more like powerpoint-like gaming), but decided to move on to desktop, for better experience.

Now, i would like to know a few opinions about my setup. It is actually very budget build, and parts were decided mostly because they were such great bargain.

FX-4350 with wraith (that one from FX-83xx)
GTX 760 OEM (1,5GDDR5)
m5a97 PRO
4 gigs of DDR3 (later to become 8)
be quiet! L8 530W

Second, here is the main part. Long ago, i grabbed new Crucial 275GB SSD, which i just want to rip out and smash in desktop. Ye, i know, drivers, but that's not the worst part.

How can i beat the OEM one key/one mobo licensing? I've basically got 3 different keys that i will no longer use (i presume; since afaik they are bound to mobos), and got no funds for new OS.

P.S.: i don't want to go to previous windows, since i'm too used for win10.

Is there ANY possible way?

Solution
If you have linked your windows to a MS live account you MAY be able to use the activation troubleshooter to move your key to a new machine. Technically it shouldn't work and is breaking the OEM terms but in practice it often does. The only restriction that seems to be strictly enforced is the only activated on 1 machine at a time rule. It lists machines that you have activated on that account and asks you which one the current machine is and doesn't seem to mind if the hardware doesn't match. No guarantees in the long term though.

For future ways to avoid OEM issues, buy a retail copy of windows. They cost about the same now and it CAN be legally transferred
If you're trying to use the license from your HP you can't. Unless you paid for the key separately from a pre-built machine it is bound to the mobo like you said. If you did purchase the key you should be able to call Microsoft to see if they can release it for you. If not I would just use the Windows 10 Free Demo until you decide to purchase a license.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
If you have linked your windows to a MS live account you MAY be able to use the activation troubleshooter to move your key to a new machine. Technically it shouldn't work and is breaking the OEM terms but in practice it often does. The only restriction that seems to be strictly enforced is the only activated on 1 machine at a time rule. It lists machines that you have activated on that account and asks you which one the current machine is and doesn't seem to mind if the hardware doesn't match. No guarantees in the long term though.

For future ways to avoid OEM issues, buy a retail copy of windows. They cost about the same now and it CAN be legally transferred

Solution

Tomas_269

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
In the end, i just tried plugging in a ssd i took from that laptop. And it booted okay. Only needed to use the purge utility from amd and then install nvidia drivers.

And can handle most mainstream games very well, and playably some new games.

USAFRet

Titan

And before long, that OS license will return as Unactivated.