HELP ME MAYDAY something wrong with my windows

ryan646

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
There seems to be some kind of problem in my windows. Yesterday i noticed i could not open a game, farcry4.exe. Apparently, windows could not find this file even though it was right there. Today, i decided to try again, and its still the same problem. So i figured i should uninstall,cannot do that either. Now im looking up the internet see i need to do something in command prompt, but i cant even open it in admin. or the task manager because windows cannot find any of the files in system32. 'windows cannot find "C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe" 'or any of the files.
can anybody help me figure out whats going on and what i can do?

alexanderburger07

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Seems like you have some infected files in your system and your antivirus either quarantined or removed the files which would cause the said errors.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
These are extremely serious issues, you very likely either have a virus or a HDD failure. Within the limited time you have available before your system likely becomes non responsive try and identify what the problem is. Either way you will most likely need to re-install windows after fixing the problem.

ryan646

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Probably not the hdd because its happening to multiple hdd at once. and if its a virus nothings detecting it either lol

ryan646

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

So i checked my quarantined files in avast, and there it was. Both the farcry4 folder and the C:\windows\system32 folder xD never had system32 quarantined before lol

alexanderburger07

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I am not too familiar with avast but I am positive that there is a restore button to quarantined files, have you tried restoring the win32 folder first?

ryan646

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
After looking into the quarantine list, avast says the threat was IDP:generic. so i restored the files, and everything seems to be working fine for now. I wonder what kind of virus infected it in the first place and if its still there. Running sfc /scannow next see what comes up