Failed OC causing BSOD boot loop, can't reinstall Windows

manning.blackall

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
This one's a real doozy.

I installed Windows 10 on a used PC I had just purchased, I installed basic programs using Ninite installer and then used Driver Booster 4 from Steam for a quick and easy driver update.

After this I went to overclock the CPU, as is fairly common for Ryzen. I used a 3800Mhz fixed clock speed for the CPU before I mistakenly entered a CPU VCore voltage of 1.7 instead of 1.37. I completely missed this and booted into the system fine regardless. The resultant stress test (gaming) caused the system to conk out after about 5 minutes (straight power loss, likely because of automatic power stoppage from overheated motherboard VRM or something of the like). After restarting into the BIOS I quickly realized my mistake and returned all the values to stock.

At this point booting into Windows no longer worked, resulting in a constant BSOD boot loop. I didn't record the initial BSOD message I received, thinking that I could just quickly reinstall Windows again using my Bootable USB and resolve the issue.

Using the Windows Installation media I formatted my SSD (where Windows was located) and tried to reinstall. This caused the BSOD to occur again. I tried this process a few times receiving these BSOD errors:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with ntfs.sys specified
SYSTEM _THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
and APC_INDEX_MISMATCH occurring usually when trying to format the drives in the installation media.

These errors (at least from solved forum posts) all pointed to driver issues, most being fixed by uninstalling a specific driver. By the time I discovered this I had already formatted Windows from my PC, ruining all hope of my getting into Windows (in Safe Mode or using CMD).

This is everything I have tried, in between attempts to reinstall, since then (as far as I can recall):
Fully powered down and restarted over the course of 2 days.
Re-seated GPU and RAM.
Running BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY to enter Safe Mode
sfc /scannow in Boot USB recovery CMD returned no issues
Set fixed voltage to 1.37 (1.3685) again and repeating overclock 3800Mhz (read that fixing the voltage could help).
Use in-built Driver Update Utility in BIOS (not exactly sure what this does)
Updated BIOS to 3.40 from 1.60 (there was no instant flash available, used DOS bootable USB)
Replaced RAM with verified working 2133Mhz Crucial 1xGb stick.
Disconnected HDD and tried install using just SSD.
Reconnected Sata cables to SSD.
Ran Memtest86 on RAM to 100%
Attempted to use old Maxtor Hybrid drive instead of SSD, Windows Installation Media would hang on splash screen load (the drive was working and did attempt to boot into Windows XP)

The blue screens occurred mostly during the second part of the Windows install where the PC was required to restart before continuing.

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
AsRock x370 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 BIOS v3.40
G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz 16Gb (2x8Gb)
Gigabyte RX 460
Samsung 840 120gb SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD

Apologies for the wall of text. I know this is a pretty ridiculous situation, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention I reset the CMOS with the 2 pin jumper

manning.blackall

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

As far as I can tell same issues occurring. BSOD after first step of installation.

manning.blackall

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

It makes sense, but I can install and run Linux just fine. I know there are differences within the OS but the hardware still seems to work at a basic level.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
as what @dragosmanea mentioned, theres a high chance some of your transistors may have been busted in your mobo. running linux normally is not a good indication that your hardware had no damage.
usual recovery method is to do what @thepaladin mentioned, to shutdown your PC. unplug PSU. unplugging the mobo battery and/or reset your CMOS.
its really hard to troubleshoot how much damage is done on your mobo without the proper tools.
you may want to bring that to a PC shop to give you some proper diagnostics.
@chadster rofl

manning.blackall

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

Yep I'm out of options, I'll get it looked it at by a local professional. Will keep you posted.